Holding On to Stay True

Chapter Twenty Eight

Her eyes scanned the autumn weather before her. Scarlett could not deny that she hated this type of season. Everything slowly began to wither and die. She loved the hot sunny days, taking a stroll by the rumbling fresh waves. The faint cool breeze initiated that it would soon get colder and all the vegetation would slowly decay. She was glad that her family had gotten the best of the crops this season, and that they were well set for this next winter to arrive. Yet she still could not come to terms about the sun hiding behind thick clouds of rain and snow for four to five months.

"Are you listening to me child?" her mother said.

She drew her attention towards her mother; feeling a blush of embarrassment rise to her cheeks.

"What was that mother?" she asked, her lips pressing into a smile.

Lady Worthington shook her head in disapproval and went about trying to adjust Scarlett's red coat.

"This man has your mind muddled, are you certain you want to depart?" she asked.

"I've discussed this numerous times, and my answer is still the same," she replied.

The wind blew with a faint whistle as the Worthington family stared at Scarlett with a very unsure expression. She did not have to say no more as their faces told her the truth about this entire charade. Her mother had insisted that she did not go; Mia had argued and protested with her as well. Nicole had been the only one to keep her comments to herself, only shaking her head every so often as she looked at her dear sister.

Nevertheless she took a deep breath, held her chin high, and tugged at the end of her thick red coat trying to stop the chilly breeze from invading what little warmth she had.

"If you change your mind please do not waste haste in coming back," her father said. His face looked grim but his lips played a thin line as he grasped at both his gloved hands and exhaled deeply.

"Of course, I will." She replied. She held him in a surprising tight hug and pressed a light peck on his cheek. Only a small faint chuckle escaped him as he held her back and sighed. Her mother then stepped in held Scarlett tight and said; "Larisa was not able to come, her husband and she had matters to attend to."

"No matter, please let her know that I hope to see her when I return, and that I love her."

Mia crossed her arms and gave Scarlett another dark look and finally sighed and approached her trying hard to compose her upset features. "Do not fall for any of his tricks Scarlett, be keen, do not yield into him so swiftly," Mia whispered in her ear so that no one could hear. Scarlett nodded as a reply and actually felt happy to know that Mia cared deeply about her feelings. The wind blew and she gasped at the sharp chill pushing her to climb into her carriage. She said her final goodbye and pushed her way inside the black carriage to escape the dreaded chill. She waved from the small window and watched as they hurried inside.

~*~*~*~

Dathan looked outside his window and up to the stars; they twinkled brightly in the dark sky. There were no clouds to cover the full moon and he knew it would be colder than before. Wrapping the blanket closer around his body he sat there trying to relax every muscle inside of him.

Just be yourself, he repeated every now and then. He would not beg, he knew he wanted to, but if that was not going to do it he wouldn't. He was going to be himself, and that was all, if Scarlett didn't see a change in him then there was nothing else he would do. He thought long and hard about how he would forcefully move on, and decided to let time erase that not someone else. If he still felt affection for her even after a year he wouldn't court anyone, there was no way he could be with another knowing that his heart was with her.