Uncharted - Fall of Drake

His hand fell in her lap. Slowly, her fingers curled over it, feeling every grove and irregularity within the surface of his hand’s rough skin. His palm was warm and damp, evidence of his vigorous running. It made her stomach churn to think of how hard and fast he had to run, and it churned even more knowing it was her fault. She felt his pulse at the base of his wrist, erratic and strong, and knew his heart was pounding far too fast. She laced his fingers with her own and gave him a gentle squeeze, using her free hand to guide him into her lap. He obliged weakly, letting his hand not held by Elena’s limply slide down and touch the earth, and dropped his head onto her chest. His breathing was loud, very loud, and haggard. Elena lifted her hand, now free, and lovingly began to smooth his hair down. She couldn’t see, but Nathan closed his eyes, and she felt him nuzzle into her bosom. She let out a soft, nervous laugh and let her own eyes close.

 “I’m sorry.” She said. She stopped smoothing down his dirty brown hair and opened her blue eyes. “I’m so sorry Nate.” She didn’t expect a response, nor did she receive one. Not verbally, anyway – he tapped her knee with his free hand. Once again, she couldn’t see his weak, but visible smile. She resumed her comforting touch, ignoring the fact the heat from the fire was beginning to creep into this room and that the heat and smoke would soon snuff both of them out. They’d burn, she realized.

“E-Elen-a?” A crackling sound from her pocket spoke her name. She awoke from a slumber she hadn’t realized she’d entered. “Elena, are you there?” It sounded again, and she remembered the walkie-talkie in her pocket. Quickly she fumbled out of Nathan’s loose grip and into her pocket. “Sully! Sully can you read me?”

“Oh thank God, I thought I lost you two!”

Suspicion crept through Elena’s mind. She looked ahead for a few minutes, her thumb holding down the walkie talkie’s button.

“Elena?”

 “I thought your walkie-talkie broke.”

"Got this from one of the guards.” He responded quickly, and though his voice showed no wavering, she was still fairly spectacle. “Where are you kids? That building’s just about burnt to the ground!”

“We’re in the tunnel underneath. Talbot caved in the exit, we – we can’t get out. Nate’s pretty roughed up too, I don’t think either of us are going to last much longer Sully.”

“I have an idea.” The hand radio buzzed in her hand and Sullivan’s voice started crackling in and out.

“Sully? Sully, are you there?”

"Get out the side tunnel - the side - holes to the sewer -"

The device hissed one last time before sputtering to death, and Elena smacks it against the wall in a minor fit of anger. "Shit!"

Still, she turns to Nate, who's eyes are now closed, body limp, and grimaces. "Nate, Nate. Please don't do this -"