Fading

To describe me would be an impossible task. I'm not pretty, I'm not someone you'd notice. I fade into the background like scrub in a forest. I am the dread scrub, surrounded by flourishing colours of green, being pushed and compacted further and further down as others grown. Its not all so bad really. I'm not noticed, I'm not hated and I'm not anyone special. If anyone were to say, "Do you know Mia Strafed?" It would probably be responded to with a shrug and a look of brief realisation before being brushed off like dust to a shirt. Not that I blame them. Do I even know Mia Strafed? I should, its me -but I don't-. 

Today I was met by nothing new. I took the longest way to all my classes as usual, dodging the crowd of pubescent, unpleasant creatures. No one particularly avoided me, I mean, I'm not the obese kid everyone thinks they know the life of, I'm not the skinny girl everyone assumes is anorexic. I'm just Mia. 

As I slipped into the class as the bell went, the teacher looked straight at me and almost gave a hint of a smile before turning to face the board. The class was slower than a tortoise race but the teacher didn't care and what would be the point anyway? Everyone would still stare blankly into the distance, and if asked what we learnt the only answer to be relayed would be a shrug. I won't recieve that question, but its good to cover bases. 

Let me get one thing straight, my life wasn't boring, and I could be noticed if I wanted, but I don't. That only leads to being hurt.

As I try to slip away out of the gate, a familiar grip meets my arm. A hold my eyelids closed and feel them squint as his harsh voice meet my ear. "I expect you to be home when I get there Mia. Do you understand?"

Someone from our grade walks past and Harold, or Harley as his friends know him, release his grip and keeps walking. He's careful to make sure no one ever knows. He doesn't need the response, he knows I will follow like a beaten dog -because that is what I am-. 

I use to want to be noticed. Summer camp 5 years ago changed that.