Chapter Eight: Secrets can kill

Picture of Natalie on the side>

___________________________________________________________________________

~Nathan~

                I wake up early in the morning, and go into Allison’s room to check up on her. When I reach her room, I spot her sitting in the chair beside the window, looking completely lost in her thoughts.

“Hey, are you feeling okay?” I ask and step inside the room. She stays silent for a few seconds and keeps staring out the window.

“I’m fine.” She says barely over a whisper. Her voice sounded distant. I walk over to her and grab her hand, but she pulls it out of my grasp.

“You are not fine. What’s wrong?” I ask, but she remains silent. I wonder why she is acting this way. She seemed fine last night when she woke up. A sigh escapes her lips and she glances at me out of the corner of her eye. My eyes widen at the confusing signs in her eyes. Love. Hurt. Worry. Confusion. Anger.

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be alright…” something in her voice was telling me that she was lying. She is only trying to push me away.

 “Okay. I trust you to tell me the truth, when you are ready.” I say before walking out towards the door. Right before I shut the door, I hear her hoarse voice say,” Ready is so far away from now.” I walk into the living room and call Natalie.

“Hello?” she answers on the first ring. She has been stressing a lot lately about Allison and her mate has gone missing. Her voice sounded strained like she had been crying for a long time.

“I need your help. Allison seems distant and every time I try to see what is going through her mind, she just blocks me out. Can you please talk to her? Maybe she’ll talk to you.” I plead. She says that she’ll be there in a few. All I have to do now is wait.

~Natalie~

                I show up at the Woods’ house a few seconds later and invite myself in. My feet carry me up the stairs. It is like every step I take, my heart breaks. What is wrong with my best friend?

I get to the top of the stairs and see Nathan leaning against the doorframe; worry covers his whole face and stance. He turns his head and looks at me.

“Hi, how is she doing?” I whisper and look inside the bedroom. Allison was sitting in a chair beside the window with no emotions showing at all. Just…blank.

“She hasn’t moved from that position this whole morning. She wouldn’t even meet my eyes when I was talking to her. Please help her, Natalie.” He pleads and tears start to glaze over his vision. I nod my head slowly and take a small step inside the room. Well here goes nothing.

The bedroom door shuts behind me, and I walk closer. Why did I feel like I was approaching a scared, hopeless animal caught in a trap?

Well getting taken for such a long time, wouldn’t exactly make you all happy inside. Especially if your own flesh and blood was involved in the capturing. My wolf says, sadness lingering in her voice. Is the sadness from the mourning of her lost mate or for the lost of her old friend?

Are you saying that Ethan was a part of all of this? How do you know this? I ask.

I have my connection with Allison’s wolf. It isn’t hard to figure out when she constantly whines out about her brother’s betrayal. My wolf says.

“Allison? I need you to talk to me.” I say and crouch down beside the chair. Her body stiffens is the only response that she actually heard me. I got to reach for her hand, but she clasps her hands together in her lap.