Eight Letters. Three Words - Ch. 13

Chapter Thirteen

The Color of Joy

“No,” I answered.

His hand moved further up towards my arm, leaving a trail of goose bumps behind.

“Do you feel anything now?” His voice was a whisper, a flutter of words that stroked my face and muddled my senses.

“Nothing.”

His hand continued to move upwards, his fingers brushing lightly over my arm until they reached my cheek, where he stopped and rested his palm carefully. We had somehow leaned closer to one another across the table, his features overwhelmed me, there was no outside world, just him.

“Now?”

I could feel the heat of his hand on my face, his breath blowing across my face, I cleared my throat for good measure.

“Stop Dylan, please.”

But he didn’t, his thumb continued to softly caress my cheek, my nose, my lips…

I pulled away.

“You’re fighting it.”

I snorted, “What exactly?”

“This.” He grabbed my hand again, a warm feeling pulsing through my arm, warming me instantly.

“Chloe,” his voice was a growl, “Stop ignoring what you feel, you may walk around with your façade all you want but don’t lie to yourself! You like it, damn! You love it, our talks, the reason behind them, you feel understood. What keeps you away from me?”

Time stood still as I stared at him, lines of worry knitting on his brow, his lips tightening in annoyance. Yet his hand still stroked mine gently, as he waited for my answer. He had taken the risk of befriending me against all odds, and now looking in his eyes I saw something else...

Something I'd desperately tried to ignore.

“Dylan...?” We both turned, seeing Katelyn Cross watching us from the nearby table where a group of students were gathered around.

I sat back snatching my hand from his grasp.

“Oh god! It's really you and...” She raised her eyebrows in my direction.

“Reality is what keeps me away from you,” I answered him, ignoring Katelyn and her crowd as I walked outside.

Dylan Miller

She had left, again.

“Excuse me,” A waitress ambled around the crowd and set the two ice cream cups in front of me.

“Thanks,” I placed a couple of bucks on the table, grabbed both ice creams and prepared to flee.

“You can sit with us Dylan.” Katelyn suggested.

“I came with a date, and I'm sure as hell going to leave with her.”

A date. The words rang in my head as I closed the door and walked to my car.

Clhoe was leaning against the hood, her back resting on the sleek metal as I made way towards her.

“I will not be hold responsible for whatever disease you get after eating your ice cream.”

She smiled, and took the cup as I passed it to her.

After a moment of silence, the which I didn't know how to fill, I sat beside her on the hood of the car, our legs brushing together as we ate in silence.