Chapter 43 - Pic of Ryan

• Dedicated to Dorotea Brozović

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 43

1 month later...

James's POV

            It's December 20th today. It's been a month and two days since the accident. Dina was still in a coma. She was still hooked on all kinds of machines. I was spending a lot of time with her, sitting next to her. Holding her hand and talking to her. Just to show her that I'm here. I haven't told Daniel about the baby. I promised Dina I won't tell him, or anyone else. She wanted to tell everyone about it herself. And even though he said she's my girlfriend, I knew we can't be together. Daniel is going to be the father of her baby, but I still love her. I don't know how I'll deal with this situation.

            Daniel has been released from the hospital today, he's finally going home. I have to go to work later, I'm working night today. I started working again one week after the accident. Since there was nothing new with Dina, and Daniel was ok. Jake and Zoya were here with me every day. We were taking shifts at the hospital. At least one of us was here at all times. Alexandra is arriving tomorrow. We told her what happened to Dina, but we didn't tell her she's in a coma. We'll tell her tomorrow when she arrives.

            Jake is working in the morning tomorrow, so Zoya and I will go to pick up Alexandra at the airport. She's arriving at 11 am, so I'll have enough time to pick up Zoya and go to the airport when I finish with work. Daniel wanted to visit Dina before he goes home. This was the first time he saw her since the accident. He stayed inside really shortly, a few minutes only, because the doctors came in and he had to go out. I drove him home. He didn't talk much. He was sad seeing Dina in that condition. I spent some time with him at his place and then I went to visit Jenny. When I left Jenny's place, I went home to rest for a few hours before going to work.

The next day...

Zoya's POV

            I woke up at 9 am, took a shower, ate and got ready. In about an hour James will come to pick me up. Alexandra is arriving today, and we're going to pick her up at the airport. We told her that Dina had an accident and that she's in the hospital. But Alexandra doesn't know that Dina is in a coma. We didn't tell her that, hoping that Dina will wake up before Alexandra comes. But she didn't, so we'll have to tell Alexandra today. I was afraid of telling her that.

            Luckily, James will be with me. I just finished washing the dishes when James came. He changed his clothes quickly and we went to the airport to pick up Alexandra. When she saw me, she ran towards me, hugging me tightly. I hugged her back. After we said our hellos, I introduced her to James. They shook hands, smiling to each other. He took her suitcases and went towards the exit, walking a few steps in front of us. We were walking slowly behind him, dragging ourselves a little intentionally.

            When Alex was sure he's far enough and won't hear anything, she said quietly: "Oh my! He's so yummy! And he seems like a really nice guy!". She smiled.

            I smiled amusingly, saying: "He is a nice guy and I have to agree he's yummy. And you haven't even seen him in his uniform!".

            She turned her head towards me quickly. "And you have?", she asked.

            "Aham.", I mumbled, licking my lips, smiling wickedly. She smiled, turning her head in his direction, cocking her head to the side slightly.

            She murmured: "Mmmmmm.... Nice butt!". I elbowed her slightly and she laughed.

            "What? I can say it!", she screamed.

            "And that's all you can!", I replied smiling. We came to the car a few seconds later.

            While James was placing her luggage into the trunk, she turned to me and asked: "Zoya, how is my Dina?".

            James turned his head to the right, towards us, looking at me, and I begged him for help with my eyes. He looked at Alexandra, closing the trunk with his left hand.

            He said: "Alex, there's something we haven't told you yet.", he paused for a second. I could see fear on Alex's face.

            James continued: "Dina is still in the hospital, and she's getting better.", Alex relaxed a little.

            "But she's in a coma. The doctor said she could wake up at any moment.", James continued quickly.

            Alex was shocked: "In a coma?".

            James continued to explain: "Yes. Her spine is not injured, and she'll be able to do everything she did before the accident, once she wakes up.", he said reassuringly. Alex started to cry.

            She hugged me and said: "I want to see her. Can I?".

            James answered her right away: "Of course. We're going to her right now. You'll see her soon.".

            He smiled to Alex and she returned the smile to him, nodding her head. We entered the car and went to the hospital. On our way there we didn't talk much. Alexandra was looking around amazed, so we didn't want to interrupt her. When we came closer to Dina's room, Ryan just came out of it. When he saw us, he stood in front of the room, closing the door behind him slowly. He was smiling slightly. My heart skipped a little. 'Maybe he has some good news.', I thought. I looked at James. He smiled slightly back to Ryan. 'Of course, they were just greeting each other like that!', I mentally face palmed myself for getting my hopes up so quickly, and based just on one smile. I guess I was full of desire for her to finally wake up.

            James introduced Alexandra and Ryan and they shook their hands. I noticed how Alex looked at Ryan. I bet she liked him. His beautiful blue eyes and ruffled brownish hair. She asked if she could see Dina. Ryan allowed us to go inside. James stayed outside to talk with him. Alexandra came closer to Dina's bed. Her reaction surprised me a little. She didn't cry. Which I was glad for. I can't help it. When I see someone cries, I start to cry too. Alexandra tried to look calm and strong, but I could see she was affected seeing Dina like this.

            She took Dina's hand in hers and said: "Hey sis! I'm here. You have to wake up or I'll steal that hunk of your boyfriend James!", she joked.

            Then suddenly, Alex got serious and looked down at Dina's hand. She was shocked. I looked down at Dina's hand too. Dina squeezed Alex's hand!

I screamed happily: "Dina!". James and Ryan ran into the room quickly, not knowing what happened.

            Alex smiled and said to Dina: "Yea, I thought you wouldn't let me do that! I know you too well, big sis!".

            I looked confused at Alex, thinking 'What Dina wouldn't let Alex do?'. Then it hit me! Of course! Dina squeezed Alex's hand when Alex said 'or I'll steal that hunk of your boyfriend James'. I laughed slightly. 'Why didn't I remember to say something like that to Dina earlier?', I thought. James stood behind Alex. Ryan asked me to tell him what exactly happened. Alex blushed.

            Before I was able to say anything she said quickly: "Uhm... Nothing much. I just took her hand and said that I'm here.", she paused for a second, looking at me. I smiled at her amusingly.

            "And then she squeezed my hand.", she said, leaving the 'hunk boyfriend' part out. I smiled at her, and she relaxed a little. What? Was she ashamed to say what really happened?