Chapter 3

Ana awoke to the delicious aroma of coffee brewing. As she lay under the furs she preferred over blankets, she deeply inhaled with a sigh. Stretched her arms and legs comfortably. And then started thinking about who would be preparing coffee for her. She lived alone.

She froze in mid-stretch as last night came crashing back into her consciousness. The knock on her door, the wounded dog named Bob. And Colton Lassiter. Especially Colton Lassiter, of the shaggy blonde hair and beard, piercing green eyes, and broad shoulders covered in smooth, golden skin.

Staring up at the ceiling, she fought the urge to peek over the edge of the loft. And lost the battle. Flipping to her stomach, she shimmied forward and looked down below. And suppressed another sigh.

Colton Lassiter was at the stove, stirring up the embers while the coffee pot rattled merrily on top. Bob lie on the floor at his side, head on his paws. The entire scene screamed of false domesticity. Oh, what Ana wouldn’t give to be able to claim a man like Mr. Lassiter as her husband. To wake up in the morning next to him, be able to touch him, hold him, love him. And be loved in return.

She grimaced as she watched the man at the stove straighten, speak softly to his dog, who thumped his tail in response. But everything she’d just imagined was simply a pipe-dream prompted by her own wishful thinking. She had to remember she was a half-breed. An ugly, thirty-year-old, half-breed woman. Good enough for an occasional tumble, perhaps, but not for anything lasting. Besides, Colton Lassiter was a drifter. Handsome, yes. Kind, most definitely. But still a rolling stone.

Creeping back from the edge, Ana returned to staring at the beamed ceiling, heart plummeting with her daydreams. Naturally the first man she ever really became attracted to would turn out to be some sort of outlaw on the run. Because that’s what Lassiter intimated when he warned he was a bad man.         And Ana had had enough bad men in her life. She didn’t need to get involved with one that actually appealed to her, and seemed interested in her as well.

The coffee smell was stronger now, and she sat up. Paused. Contemplated the idea that Lassiter was attracted to her. And discarded the thought. He’d thrown out signals right and left last night, but that was probably because he’d been without a woman too long. Just because he hadn’t recoiled in disgust from her face didn’t mean he’d fallen hopelessly in love with her, Ana sneered. When a man needed sex, one woman looked pretty much like another in the dark.

With a self-directed grimace, she rose from her pile of furs and smoothed out the wrinkles in the dress she’d slept in. Finger-pulled her hair from its long plait and re-braided it quickly before heading down the ladder.

Once she reached the floor she turned, found Bob standing before her with a wag to his tail and a besotted look on his doggie face.

“You’ve got an admirer, Miz Redwing.”

Reluctant to look into his handsome face, Ana nevertheless raised her eyes to Colton Lassiter’s. Braced for the jolt of attraction that zinged between them when their gazes collided. His warmed, while she fought the inward swoon when she met those sparkling green orbs, considered those golden whiskers dappling his cheeks and chin. And briefly hoped he meant himself and not the dog.

She dropped her gaze to his outstretched hand and the coffee mug he extended to her. Noticed idly the thong of leather wrapped around his wrist. And took the cup from him with a mumbled “Thank you.” He quarter-turned away toward his own mug next to the stove.

“I would’ve scrambled you some eggs, Ma’am, but I hate chickens. They’re mean little bi—cusses that never fail to fly at me and scratch at my face. I swear they must be the souls of all the women I’ve crossed.” Too late, he seemed to realize the inappropriateness of his comment, for he bit off the end of his sentence and muttered, “Beggin’ your pardon, Miz Redwing.”