Chapter 42

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 42

In the meantime...

Daniels's POV

            I've been lying in the hospital bed. Zoya, Jake and James spent a lot of time here with me. Trying to entertain me. Even Mark came a few times, but he always left fast. He hates hospitals. I was thinking about Dina and how is she. James was giving me the updates the whole time. But there was nothing new about her condition in this two days. James told me she fell in a coma.

            The first day of the accident was pretty stressed. For a moment we all thought she's gone, but Ryan came to tell us she's alive. Phew! What a relief! James told me he talked to her for a minute that day, and that she asked for me. He told her that I'm fine, and then she fell asleep again. And didn't wake up since then. The doctor came, we all call him Ryan now. He's the same age as James, so he asked us to call him Ryan and not doctor Campbell. Ryan asked Zoya, Jake and James to go out for a while. He checked up on me, looking at my head wounds, my left hand and my chest. I had to stay in the hospital for some time, so that he can keep an eye on me. I was really weak, because I was injured and I gave blood for Dina.

            Ryan went out and a few moments later James came in, alone. Ok, something's weird. He haven't came alone to my room, ever since the day of the accident.

            "Is Dina ok?", I asked quickly. Little scared of the answer.

            He smiled slightly and said: "Yes, Dina is ok. Nothing has changed. But I need to talk to you.".

            "Ok, big bro. Talk.", I said.

            "What are we going to do about Dina? What feelings do you have for her?", he asked me, sitting at the chair next to my bed.

            I decided I'll be honest: "Well, I liked her, a lot. But since I found out about the two of you, I like her only as a friend...", he looked a little relaxed.

            I decided to joke with him a little. "...with benefits.", I added. He looked at me and I wiggled my eyebrows.

            Before he could say anything, I continued: "Don't worry, I'm joking. What has been between Dina and me, it's finished. As far as I'm concerned, she's your girlfriend.".

            He wanted to say something, when someone knocked on the door. It was Jake. He had to go to work.

            James nodded his head and asked: "And Zoya? Will she stay here or she's going home?".

            "She'll stay here.", Jake answered.

            Then James said to him to tell Zoya that she can come inside. There's no point in leaving her alone, and we already solved the most important part of our conversation. Zoya came inside and Jake said goodbye to us. The three of us talked and smiled.

Zoya's POV

            It was 2 pm when Jake said he has to go to work. He works from 3 to 11 pm. I went to Daniel's room to join James and Daniel. We talked and smiled for a while. Then James said he's going to find Ryan and ask him if there are any news about Dina's condition. The two of them talked this morning and Ryan said that Dina fell in a coma, but she could wake up at any moment. James left Daniel and me alone.

            Daniel was all bumped up and had a few cuts and bruises on his head. He was all in bandages. We started to talk. He asked me to tell him everything that was going on before we met him. I told him everything, about England and our first few days here, about James and Dina, how I met Jake and what happened later. He smiled at me. He couldn't laugh normally because of the bandages, and it hurt him when he tried to laugh.

            James came back after a while, saying that there's no news about Dina's condition. We spent another hour with Daniel, and then we went away. We were both very tired. We've barely slept in the past two days as we spent most of our time here, in the hospital. James drove me home. He walked me to my doors, and then he went to his place. I entered the apartment, closing the doors behind me, leaning on them.

            Dina's bedroom doors were slightly open, and I went inside. I sat on her bed and took her pillow in my hands. I noticed the photo on the spot where the pillow was. A photo of her and James. She loves James a lot. She told me she'll have to talk to Daniel soon. I couldn't tell her that Daniel already knows, because I promised I won't say anything. I had to let Daniel do this himself. James told me that he talked to Daniel about the accident and what happened before the accident. Daniel told him that he wanted to talk to Dina too, and tell her that he knows about her and James, but he didn't want to talk about it while he was driving. They were going to the WTC Site because Dina wanted to go there. I knew Dina loved those buildings a lot, and when the attack happened, we were in Europe. Dina cried when she saw the news. Dina and Daniel didn't have the time to talk, because that accident happened. It was November 18th then, just one day after my birthday.

            And now, two days later, she was in a coma. I put her pillow back. But I took the photo and placed it on the pillow. They really looked great together. And Dina was really happy with James. I never saw her that happy before. I went out of her room to the bathroom and took a quick shower. Then I went to my bedroom. I laid in my bed. I was thinking about everything that happened. I fell asleep an hour later.