Chapter 39

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 39

James's POV

            When I arrived at the hospital, Jake was already there, waiting for me in the front of the building.

            "I'm so sorry, James.", he said approaching me. I was still in shock of what happened, so I just nodded my head to him.

            "Where is she, Jake?", I barely asked.

            "In the ER. The doctor should come soon. Let's go inside and wait for him.", Jake said, placing a hand on my shoulder, leading me in.

            He said he already called Zoya. She'll be here soon too. We went inside and waited in front of the ER for the doctor. The nurse came out and said that the doctor will come soon. She couldn't give us any information about Dina.

            I asked Jake to call my boss and tell him what happened. I went to the room where Daniel was, to check up on him, until doctor comes. I went inside, alone. Jake was outside, waiting for Zoya and calling my boss. Daniel was sad and looking through the window. When he saw me he tried to sit. I stopped him.

            "I'm so sorry, bro. I couldn't do anything. It all happened so fast. That idiot just passed through the red light in his line!", he said apologizing, barely breathing.

            His chest and arms were bandaged. He got a few cuts on his head when he hit the side window with it, so his head was also bandaged.

            "I know, bro. It's not your fault. I'm glad you're ok. And she's going to be fine too.", I said, holding his hand.

            Not sure who I was reassuring, him or myself. I stayed with him for a few minutes and then I went outside to wait for the doctor, saying that I'll come back soon. Zoya came and she was with Jake in the hallway. She was crying. She came to me and hugged me tightly.

            "Oh, James! Our Dina! She could die!", she said, crying.

            "She'll be ok, Zoya. Dina will be ok. She has to be!", I said, trying to calm down both of us.

            She nodded her head and went over to Jake again, sobbing, and sitting on the chair. Jake hugged her, and she hugged him back. Then the doctor came. He was approximately my age.

            Before he spoke, I approached him and said: "Hello, doctor. My name is James Miller. I'm Dina's visa contact, and Daniel is my brother. May I have a word with you in private, please?".

            The doctor replied: "Sure, Mr. Miller. I'm doctor Ryan Campbell.". We shook hands.

            "Call me James, please. Mr. Miller might be confusing since my brother uses the same last name. Please, this way.", I said, instructing him a bit further from Zoya and Jake. He nodded his head and followed me.

            When we were far enough, I asked: "Please, doctor Campbell, tell me, how is Dina? And the baby? Did she...". He interrupted me before I asked if she lost the baby.

            He said: "It's a miracle, but the baby is fine. But Ms. Reid, Dina, is in a bad condition for now. The next 48 hours are critical.".

            "I understand.", I said sadly and sighed in a slight relief because she didn't lose her baby. She'd die of sadness if she had lost it.