Devil, Mine

I rubbed at the tender spot on my neck, wanting nothing more than for these wounds to disappear. Survivors who were bitten would often say that the bite of a vampire was almost euphoric. I suppose that was a sort of defence at keeping humans screams at bay. No one would come to your rescue if they heard moans of absolute bliss down a dark ally.

Despite two days passing since our last encounter, Aros had stayed away, slinking to his own private corner and never coming within two inches of me. Whatever happened between us must have pleased my captors, because they were now giving me daily meals and water.

The silence was deafening. I couldn't handle not using my voice, not knowing if I still had the power to speak. I don't know if it was madness that got to me, or just desperation, but I attempted to start a conversation for the first time in two days.

"What is- what does bad blood mean?" I asked timidly. Aros, as scary as he may have looked on the outside, truly hadn't done anything to warrant my fear any longer. He had promised to keep away after that day and had done so.

Even through the darkness, I could tell that his face fell into a surprised expression. In all honesty I was starting to feel slightly bad for him. Slightly.

A soft chuckle resounded through the cell. "You're talking to me now?" he muttered, mainly to himself I supposed. "It is a term used for blood that isn't of the highest quality. Blood that has been contaminated through infection or disease is still drinkable, but not enough to give us a desired effect."

My brows furrowed in confusion. "And what effect would that be?" Keep talking to me – before I go crazy.

His smirk was unbelievably handsome, something I had been ignoring. "Good blood makes us feel almost human again. Emotions come back that you never thought you'd ever feel again... but there are some that feel nothing but anger and hatred."

His expression changed to that of contempt as he growled low to himself and turned his head away from me. I don't know what compelled me to ask, but the question slipped past my lips before I could stop myself. "Is-is that what happens to you?"

"Yes."

His answer was curt, as if that one statement should suffice for the thousands of questions floating around in my head. Vampire's couldn't feel love, or hate, or anger, they just drifted through life looking for their next source of blood – is that what he was telling me? Was Aros kept in this prison because he was too dangerous to be amongst his own kind?

I suppose I was lucky that I at least got one clear answer out of him. My blood was bad because of what had happened when I was sixteen. All those blood transfusions, infections and surgeries must have made my blood 'undrinkable' to these bloodsuckers.

Funny how the worst experience of my life – besides the situation I'm in right now – had possibly saved me from a worse fate.

But that just made me more terrified for my family.

"I was with my family before I came here. What do you think is happening to them?" I asked carefully, afraid of the answer.

Aros surprised me with his willingness to answer.

"It depends on their gender and age. They could all be separated and put into different herds. The older you are, the less likely it is you'll live to see a week before you're sold."

My face paled.

Gran...

I put my hand to my mouth as a sob escaped. I had been held here for days – were my family dead already?

"And-" I hiccupped as I tried to finish my sentence, "And children?"

Lillah. What was happening to my baby sister?

He looked at me, curiosity shining in his blood-red eyes, before answering, "Human children are kept until their blood matures. We may be animals, love, but we're not so cruel that we would drain the blood of a child."

"But you are animals! You kill humans like cattle!" I couldn't keep from shouting. I was angry, sad and horrified by what he had just said.

His face was stoic the entire time, until he faced the wall once again. "They're probably dead by now. I'm sorry."

In no way did he sound sorry, which just made me angrier. I didn't have the guts to lash out and attack him – though I wanted to – and just kept to glaring daggers into his back.

"What did you mean when you said you'd set me free?"

I never knew silence could be so deafening as it was in that very second. It wasn't until I saw an eerie smile cross his pale face that I immediately regretted my question.

"We make a deal."

I couldn't but feel curious. "A deal? That's it?"

Slowly, Aros got to his feet and clamoured forward. "It's more than just a deal, love. It's a deadly oath, that when broken, will end in one or both of us being dragged to a place worse than hell itself."

I shook my head as I pushed myself back against the wall. "This is crazy. I'm sorry I even asked."

That didn't stop him.

"And the beast that was, and is not, is himself also an eighth, and is of the seven; and he goeth into perdition."

He was now standing directly in front of me, glowering down as if I were the monster in this scenario.

"The scarlet beast that was, but is no longer, is the eighth king. He is like the other seven, and he, too, is headed for destruction."

I was left speechless as I stared up into his glaring expression. "What are you talking about?" I whispered, totally entranced with his biblical gibberish.

"Are you willing to make a deal with a beast and descend into destruction? Into perdition?"

As if in a trance, I nodded slowly. "Will- can you help me save my family?"

"If that's your side of the deal," he nodded. His eyes seemed to glow with excitement – excitement at also being free.

"I would-" I paused, thinking this over carefully. What was the price?

Aros growled as he edged closer, his face inches from mine. "Say it!"

He was just as desperate as I was – maybe more so.

I nodded, tears slowly dripping down onto my cheek and I whispered, "What's the price?"

His smile was wicked. "A price we all pay one way or another," he answered, holding his hand out to me.

I slowly took his cold, lifeless hand. Death – death was the price.

"When?" I asked as he helped me to my feet.

"As soon as the debt is paid on both sides, will it happen."

"To who?" I asked, staring at him as he looked down at me.

I had the sudden urge to reach up and touch his dark hair, but stopped myself when he finally answered.

"I can't answer that, all I can say is that it's never me who falls first."