Chapter Eighteen

Josephine

"What do you mean, the rogues are out of control again?" Theo demands and I curl deeper into the chair. I hate when he uses the big, scary alpha tone.Jason must hate it too because he turns his neck to the side in submission. Theo waves his hand dismissively.

"Well, Alpha, the borders haven't been breached yet but the rogues are sort of clumping together and attacking our men in groups. It's becoming a problem." Jason informs and I suck in a deep breath. This sounds serious. I stand up to leave but Theo shoots me a look and I sit back down.

"No. Stay, Josephine." He commands and I burrow back into the chair. "How long has this been happening and I haven't been informed?" I can hear he's angry.

"It started last night. We didn't think it was important enough to bother you with the Luna being in such a state and needing your attention." Whoa, hold up. Me? I'm perfectly fine. He doesn't need to blame this on me. I open my mouth to protest but Theo silences me with a look.

"I respect that decision but always inform me whether I choose to attend to the situation or not." Theo orders.

"Yes, Alpha." Jason nods his head. "What do you wish for the men to do about that?"

"I'll come talk to them." He dismisses and Jason leaves. "Go get cleaned up. I'll be right up to the room in a few minutes." He says to me and kisses my forehead and then leans down and kisses his mark on my skin. I shiver at the contact. Oh no.

The clock is already ticking.

Theo

"Any rogue that instigates anything should die immediately. I do not take kindly to threats." I instruct my pack members as they listen to me intently at out southern boarder. "If they're clumping, kill faster. This shouldn't even be a problem." They all nod their heads solemnly and I wave them off. I watch as they shift and sprint back to their posts at the other boarders. Max comes up to me and I nod my head at him in acknowledgment.

"Alpha, my squad was wondering about the well being of the Luna." He starts and I raise my eyebrow. "We've all seemed to grow attached to her since her speech at the campfire. She is our Luna after all."

"Tell your squad she's doing better." I say and he thanks me before shifting and trotting after his men. It seems my men have taken a liking to my little mate. I smirk proudly. She is something special.

And she's all mine.

Josephine

I stare at my mark in the mirror after I turn the shower on. Two little puncture wounds I run my fingers over them and watch the action through the glass. They turn red at my touch. I look over at the door in longing. I sorta miss Theo. He said he was gonna be gone for a few minutes but it feels like he's been gone for hours.

Turning back to the shower, I drop my towel and climb in. Maybe if I focus on cleaning myself then I won't think about him as much. I run my fingers through my long hair and sigh. What's taking him so long?

A door opens and shuts and I look at the shower curtain with excitement. He's back! I quickly finish my shower and then climb out, wrapping a towel swiftly around my body.

"You're back!" I exclaim as I exit the bathroom and spit Theo taking his shoes off.

He looks up at me a bit alarmed. His eyes move around the room suspiciously and then they go back to mine, looking like I lost my marbles. But then his eyes take in my outfit, or lack of one, and his eyes darken.

"Did I miss something?" He asks and I shake my head.

"No, but I missed you!" I step towards him and he furrows his eyebrows.

"Are you high?"

"Uh." How am I supposed to answer that question? "No?"

"Come here." He orders sternly and I walk over to him. He presses the back of his palm to my forehead. "You're burning up." His eyes widen and I sense a bit of panic.

"I feel fine though." I protest as he picks me up bridal style in my bath towel and carries me out the door.

"You're gonna feel fine in a few minutes. The pack doctor is gonna fix you all up, baby." He assures me as if I needed assurance.

"Theo, I'm fine." I press and he kisses my temple. He sets me down on a bed and a man comes up to Theo.

"What's the problem, Alpha?"

"She's acting strange and feels hot." Theo explains and I frown at them both.

"He's overreacting." I tell the man and Theo growls. "I'm perfectly fine."

"Well let me just check please, Luna." The man says and then asks Theo for permission to touch me. Theo nods his head and the man checks my temperature. "Oh boy. The Alpha is right. You've got quite the fever. Has she been marked recently?"

"Today, actually. About an hour ago."

Theo frown at my neck and I shy away from his gaze. The man brushes my hair back and brushes his fingers across the mark. I hiss through my teeth at the pain. Theo growls deeply.

"You went far too deep, Alpha." The man says and Theo continues to growl. "Her body is trying to process the alpha gene you placed in her system." I blink at them both. Whoa. My vision is clouding. I reach out and grip Theo's hand. He takes a step closer to me.

"What's wrong, baby?" He asks and I blink some more as black spots appear.

"Her fever is too high, Alpha. This isn't good." The man's voice seems so far away.

"Well, do something about it." Theo snarls and I clutch his hand tighter.

"I can put her on medication but she's pass out. I won't be able to tell when she'll wake up." Is that the man speaking? I can't even tell anymore. I whimper and Theo whines. Whoa. I've never heard him make that sound before.

"Just make her pain stop." He pleads and if I could really see them, in sure I would see the man's shocked expression at seeing suck vulnerability from his Alpha.

Something pricks into my arm and I suck in a quick breath. That c and out of nowhere. My head spins and my vision finally gives out. My eyes close involuntarily and I whimper again. This doesn't feel right.

"Theo?" I whisper and my voice hitches.

"Right here, baby. Everything's gonna be alright." Something soft presses to my forehead and I feel his breath in my hair.

"I don't feel fine anymore." I tell him and there's only silence. Did my hearing give out too? What's even going on with me? Soon all of my senses quit and I can feel my body slowly shutting down to try and conserve energy to fight off the fever. The man was right. It's way too high for my body to handle.

I pass out within seconds.