Part 1

Celaena Sardothien walked the streets of Rifthold just like she used to do before, the memories were going through her mind. She remembered walking here in disguise when she wanted to shop for new clothes. Even Adarlan's most notorious assassin still had to look her best at all times. She remembered walking here with Arobynn on their way to their next assignment. And she also rememebred Sam, she remembered stalking the streets with him at night ready to assassinate their next target. 

Rifthold still looked like Rifthold, and still smelled like it too. But something felt different, maybe it was just her. After all the events that happened in the Glass castle and in Wendlyn she didnt't feel the same anymore. Maybe it was because there were people who knew who she really was, and that she has come face to face with her true destiny. But even though people knew she was Aelin Ashryver Galathynius, she would always be Celaena Sardothien. And she wasn't going to let her past change that.  Even if she has accepted that she is the rightful Queen of Terrasen, a part of her still can't fully let go of the title "Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's most notorious assassin". 

She wondered what Rowan was doing right now, she hated to admit this but she missed the little brute. How long have they been away from each other? How long are they going to be away from each other? Since Rowan is bounded to Celaena, maybe it hurt him more to be away from her, than her from him. She knew it wasn't going to be easy to get the Wyrdkey from Arobynn, she had to be sneaky into getting even close to him. But once she got that out of the way, killing him would be easy. And she was going to enjoy it. 

A cold breeze crept up her spine, she tugged her cloak tighter around her and pulled her hood lower. No one was to know that she is here. She continued walking and in the corner of her eye, she saw a man follow her. She walked faster, and so did he. She was being followed. Celaena kept a close eye on the man from under her hood. She did not recognize him at all. He had ashy blonde hair, and gray eyes. He looked around somewhere in his twenties. Who is this man? She thought. He was following her and would somtimes glance at her. His eyes were not kind, he did  not try to hide that he was in fact going after her. She turned to a corner that led to a wide alley. She kept walking and she soon felt him behind her. She reached the end of the alley and did not look back as she spoke "What do you want?" her voice was firm and calm. The man did not answer her, but she felt him run after her. She turned her back and caught his wrist before he was able to plunge the knife in her skin. She pushed him hard and he lost his stepping but quickly recovered. He swung his arm at her direction but she ducked and hit him hard on the jaw. He growled then quickly kicked her in the abdomen sending her flying to the ground. Her head hit the stone pavements and she grunted from the pain. The man was suddenly on top of her, he held the knife above his head and plunge it down on her. Celaena quickly moved away from the knife, but she was not fast enoough. The knife cut her in the temple, she felt the warm blood quickly ooze out of her. She grabbed his wrist and kicked him from under. He fell to the ground and she quickly stood up. She took out her sword and pinned it against his chest. He was breathing heavily and a flash of fear shown in his eyes. "Who sent you?" She said coldly. He didn't speak, he was shaking under the tip of her sword. "ANSWER ME!" She shouted. "It wasn't me---it was Lysandra" he said. Lysandra?  That bitch. Celaena thought. Celaena never liked Lysandra, even as a child. She hated it even more when Sam spent time with her. "She saw you walking in the market, but she wasn't sure if it was really you. She sent me off to follow you to see if it really was you. And then she told me to kill you." Celaena shook from anger. "Where is she now?" Celaena's voice was calm and cool. "She---she went back to the Keep." To probably tell Arobynn, Celanea thought. "Please, don't kill me" said the man. A devilish grin appeared on Celaena's face. "Hmmm...I don't think so" Before she could plunge the knife deep into his chest, he kicked her from under and she went falling to the ground. He was on top of her now "Let's end this. Now" he said holding up the knife above her. he pinned her down with the weight of his body, even as she tried to move he wouldn't budge. Her sword was a few feet away from her, she tried searching his eyes for any spark of pity or kindness but all she found was pure coldness. He was going to kill her. And she wouldn't be afraid. 

The man fell on top of her. She gasped, she pushed him off her and saw that there was a knife stuck to his back. She looked up and her jaw dropped. He looked different from before. His hair was longer, and he looked older. His eyes were still the same warm brown color she thought she would never see again, but now they have hardened. His mouth was pressed into a thin line, but he was still so beautiful. She forgot how handsome he was, and how his hands felt like on her skin. And now, she so badly wanted to feel them again. "Celaena" Sam Cortland said. She couldn't speak, her mouth was agape but there were no words to describe what she was feeling, or what she wanted, needed, to say to him. "H-how?" she said after a few seconds. "Sam, how--is it really you?" it was a stupid question to ask, but she couldn't believe it. Not once did she think that Sam could actually be alive. "Celaena we have to get you out of here" he came towards her and grabbed her wrist. She gasped when he touched her, as if expecting that he was just a ghost. But he was so real. His touch was so real. 

He led her out of the alley and soon they were both inside a little house. His house, she supposed. It was fairly hidden. And it was small, with just enough room for both of them. "Celaena, why are you here?" she almost laughed at that question "I think the question is: Why are you alive?" she asked. "You were dead when I last saw you. I felt your pulse, you--you were cold. And dead." She couldn't stop the tears from welling up in her eyes. "Well, I clearly am not dead" he said after a beat. She looked up at him and threw a pillow she found laying on the couch "Damn it Sam! I can see that. My question is, how?"  He moved closer to her and touched the side of her face which was now streaked with tears. "Celaena" he said softly. "Why do you keep saying my name?" she whispered looking into his eyes. A small smile tugged on the corners of his lips. Lips that she used to be so familar with. "Because, I never thought I would get the chance to say it again" And then he bend down and kissed her. 

The kiss ignited, his lips were soft against hers. He cupped her face with his callused hands, and she quickly fell into the kiss. She was soon kisisng him back passionately, and then he kissed her harder, more eager, hungrier. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer, like how she used to do before. She remembered now the taste of him, the smell of him. For so long she has forgotten how he smelled and tasted like. How his hands felt on her skin and hair. How he said her name, but now that he was doing all those things to her, she finally remembered. The kiss was everything she remembered, even better because it was like visiting an old friend. Their tounge and teeth collided and she felt like she was drowning in love and emotion. Her face was now wet with tears as he kissed her. He wiped her cheeks with his thumb and whispered her name in between kisses. She forgot why she was here in Rifthold, she forgot who she actually was. But one face appeared in her mind.

"I love you" he whispered. She closed her eyes as Sam kissed her on the forehead. "Do you love me too?" Celaena opened her eyes and looked up at him and smiled. "I always have," she said "and I always will." He smiled handsomely at her. "But, I met someone."she said before she could stop herself. Images of Chaol kept flashing through her mind. "I'm not sure if he and I can fix what happened between us. But I love him. And it's not fair to you or me if I don't admit that. I'm sorry." Sam held her chin up and smiled "I'm happy for you." She smiled at him even as there were tears in her eyes. She hugged him and he held her tight. "Thank you" she whispered in his chest, and then night came and swallowed them whole.