Chapter Twelve

"So, do tell us, how does it feel to ride in a Ferrari?"

I rolled my eyes. For the gazillionth time.

They've been bombarding me with questions ever since Scott brought me home. Mom and Anya found this whole thing really funny and Kate was just watching me dreamily. I've avoided pretty much all of them, which only increased the smugness on each of their smirks.

Yes, all of them were smirking at me.

Trying to be polite, I shrugged and shoved a piece of chocolate cake into my mouth. All dinner I've tried to keep my mouth occupied not to answer any unwanted questions. Even though Scott said that I could tell anyone that we were friends, I wasn't sure what I could actually tell.

Not that there was much to tell, anyway.

We just met yesterday. Although we had spent a large amount of time together, we hadn't really talked about each other much.

I highly appreciated the fact that he never asked me any questions and he pretty much acted like nothing happened. Like if he hadn't found me completely distraught. That alone let me know that he was someone I could trust.

Glancing at my mom, I smiled at her now sparkling green eyes. She was talking animatedly with Anya about her new coming article, the one she was supposed to work on this week. Seeing her like that was reassuring. She seemed fine now. I wish I could have let my pride and ego to the side and actually talked to her over the last three years. God knows how hard it must have been for her. I now had a new feeling of admiration and understanding towards her.

Sadly, we both have been through the same thing.

"Emily?" Kate squeezed my shoulder.

"Huh?"

She smiled gently at me. "You've been spacing out all dinner. I wanted to ask you if you wanted to hang out with me tomorrow, we are heading to go shopping since it's my birthday."

"Your birthday? Yes, of course, Kate, thank you for asking me! What else have you got planned?"

"Mainly shopping," she answered sheepishly.

"I could use some shopping. But we still have to do something else!"

Truth is I was running out of clothes. My small suitcase was pretty much empty. Since I didn't know how much time I'd be in the UK I brought only the essentials.

But that was about to change.

And Daddy had a major debt to pay...

Call me immature, but I noticed that this house needed some new things, like a microwave or a coffee machine, and since Dad, kindly told me to buy whatever I needed, I was planning to buy whatever this house or Mom's other house needed. All in his credit card.

I was pissed and I was allowed to indulge in material things. He could definitely afford them and my Mom could make a good use out of them.

"So, seriously, is he as dreamy as he seems to be?" Kate's eyes sparkled as she sighed dreamily.

I guess I must have spaced out again, since I had no idea how this conversation even started.

Laughing, I shook my head. "He's just like any other guy, Kate."

"Yeah, well, a really handsome guy, none the less," she narrowed her eyes at me.

"Well...yeah, I can't deny that." I smiled at her as she leaned on her right elbow and sighed again.

Kate was a really nice girl. I was sure we could become really good friends. She was a bit girly for my taste, I mean, all the sighing and day dreaming were getting somewhat annoying, but other than that, she seemed nice.