Anticipation

Chapter Twenty

He sat there for what seemed like an eternity before he took his leave. With one last glance Dathan felt a small smile grow on his lips. Scarlett had done a beautiful job with this garden. There was no doubt in his mind that she was a woman full of talents.

Walking out of the maze Dathan made his way inside to dress for the evening. While adjusting his bow tie he stared into the mirror. Whether he wanted to acknowledge it or not he knew deep down he missed her presence far too much. Frustrated with himself he stopped adjusting his bow tie and ripped it away. Tossing it aside, he took a seat at the edge of his bed and stared down to his neat prepped shoes.

She was slowly starting to drive him senseless and she had undeniably no clue. He did not lust over Scarlett, no he was positive that was not all there was. He missed her, missed her scent, her beautiful heart shaped face, her voice and most of all her keen remarks. Standing he pushed out of his chamber and sought out her own. Stepping in he walked over to a veiled gown lying over a chair and took his seat at the foot of her bed. He inhaled it, gripping the thin material in his hands as he closed his eyes.

He sighed as he pulled the gown away and stared at it, letting his fingers gently caress it. What was he to do if she never returned? Would she at least return for her belongings? The door creaked and he stood, hope blossoming in his chest as he called out to Scarlett. Instead, Camille lent casually against the doorframe, her arms crossed over her chest.

"I thought I made myself clear when I said you were no longer welcomed into this home," he said. She stepped away and reached out to pull the gown from his grip; dropping it unto the ground.

"I love you," she whispered, her arms wrapped around his shoulders. Dathan swiftly recoiled, keeping Camille at arm's length.

"We can no longer be Camille," he protested.

"Why? I thought you loved me, and only me, what has she done to you?" she asked, her eyes filling with tears.

"She has made me see the wrong in me, and I am determined to become a better man." He replied.

"I can make you a better man, stay with me I beg you Dathan, please do not throw away what we once shared." She whispered.

"I'm sorry Camille, but this cannot continue, I love Scarlett, I love her, please understand that."

Her flawless etching turned into a murderous glare he suddenly feared turning into a malevolent demon. She shoved away from him, her shoulders tensing as she fisted her hands.

"You will regret this, you will regret ever leaving me for a flimsy little tramp!" she shouted. She swung but this time Dathan was prepared for her blow. He caught hold of her hand and gripped it tightly making her wince in the process.

"Get out of my house, out of my life, and forget my face," he spat.

She tugged free caressing her hand against her chest, her eyes filling with tears.

"Mark my words Dathan," she hissed before running from the room.

***

Scarlett made her way out of the maze drenched in water and looked around before stepping out the archway. There was no sign of anyone not even the gardener. Slowly walking out she ran towards the back door, her dress made it almost impossible. Reaching the door knob Scarlett heard a loud slamming of the front door. She waited and finally decided to give it a go after the house seemed silent. Stepping in she looked around for Sonia and ran into the kitchen, slipping, and landing hard on her backside.