Black Equation - Chapter 24*

Chapter 24

Why did I flee?

A part of her mind was yelling at her. She knew that it was stupid to believe his words. It was a desperate time, and it called for a desperate measure. She knew that Jared only told her that to make her go away. It was for her safety. It was for her sake. She knew… and should believe… but how could she just shake it off when it sounded so true? Somehow, it did make sense. She had been a selfish bitch, a spoiled brat, and had always been a dead weight on Jared’s side. It was true, so true it hurt her.

Jared’s expression as he shooed her away… it was too believable to be simply an act. He actually looked relieved when he told her how annoying she had been. It was as if he had been meaning to tell her that from the start.

Was everything a lie? His sweet words, his gentle touch, and his warmth… were all of them carried out because of his duty? The indisputable sincerity in Jared’s eyes seemed to confirm it all. No. No! She should believe in him. She shouldn’t let those words destroy her trust in him. They shared a strong bond built from their years of friendship. Mere words shouldn't be able to affect it. But his eyes…

The ghastly image made her head spin uncontrollably. She tripped for the third time, and received not only a couple of scratches but also a huge cut on her left palm. The intensifying smell of blood was washing through her, but all she could see was his cold eyes.

Jared… that guy…

Tears wouldn’t stop flowing from her eyes, stinging the open wounds on her cheeks. She was running, but she had no idea where she was going. She didn’t mind as long as it’s away from him. It wouldn’t be much of a problem anyway. She was gravely injured, but who cares? She might as well die bleeding. She was as cold as ice, but so what? Freezing to death didn’t sound bad at all. The icy cold was numbing her, soothing the pain inflicted on her body and mind.

Faye tripped again. She forced herself up, ignoring the protests of her frail body and the shaking foundations that threatened to snap within her. Her head was in turmoil, vivid images of that bloody nightmare flashing again before her very eyes.  She wasn’t in a good shape and she was drained. She knew she wouldn’t last long.

She started running again. The irregular stones clattered underneath her shoes. She didn’t know how long has it been, but she never dared to stop. Without warning, the solid ground under her disappeared.

She was falling.

*****

Falcon watched her as her ragged figure slowly retreated behind the tall sequoia trees. He wanted to pursue her, but the wires that 01 had prepared kept him at bay. If he move even a measly inch towards them, the thin wires would surely dice him. One small mistake could cost him a limb, a price too much for him to pay. He also noticed the set of daggers that seemed to materialize on his opponent’s hands.  Again? How many had he been carrying? And how did he manage to hide all those under his sleeves? Good thing that he had this planned out. He knew how to deal with this situation; he wouldn’t be as foolish as that female lackey of his.

Pucha! He already lost Craig, and now Mikhaela? It took him forever to find them. He didn’t know that Creed would send two Equations to support that traitor of a dog. He knew that 01 forcibly left Creed, even killed the former 03, 04 and 06 on his escape. Why did that filthy organization send him back-ups, then? Hah! Creed had gone insane!

He tried to cut the wires with a knife, but the blade broke upon contact.

Pucha, pucha, pucha! He initially thought that if he challenged him in an open space like this, he had the upper hand. He thought that his chances of failure would be slim. The trees were too far apart to have his wires hang on them, and there were barely any posts around, yet why was it that 01 could still use that annoying wire trick? Was he a Diablo?