7th ☾ A Fateful Encounter

I used to scream in my sleep,

Your voice, your name, I hear.

7th

A Fateful Encounter

Two more years later

"The storm is getting stronger!" someone briskly shouted.

I couldn't clearly visualize who had said it, neither was I able to see if anyone was around. All I knew was that the ship that we were on board was being swayed by the angry waves of the ocean. And it had been going on and on for hours.

I fell on my back again, as another wave hit the sinking ship. Then it swayed to the other side without warning, and I slipped on the flooded floor and directly fell into someone.

"Ouch," he winced, "Easy with the swaying."

"Bryce, is that you?" The rain blurred my vision.

"Miles, kitty?"

"Yeah, it's me, alright" I said, holding on to a shaft. I saw that he also did the same. The storm continued its rage and waters were now submerging the entire ship.

"You know how to swim, right?" Bryce asked above the apparent disarray.

"Yes?" I replied with uncertainty, wiping the waters in my eyes. Another gush of brisk wind passed, and the storm seemed to be getting stronger. I tightened my grip on the pole, for I was certain that letting go was not a good idea, especially when you didn't how to fly.

"Then I guess we'll just see each other around. You know our hideout in Vuscatanell?" Bryce continued asking.

I thought about it for a moment, before I answered, "I've been there once."

Our last hideout was in the Village of Moss, my hometown. We were supposedly on a voyage towards our most recent hideout in Vuscatanell. The weather was already bad when we left, but then the majority of the group insisted that we move along as planned. They feared that we would get caught in the Village of Moss, since the town guards started to increase in number on our third day there. And this was where the thoughts of many had brought us—out in the middle of the ocean and on a sinking ship.

Oh sheesh, just great.

"Good, meet you there... I guess," Bryce told me with hesitation.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't think the ship can make it through the storm. Brace yourself to be lost in the sea," Bryce warned me.

"I... what?" I asked out of confusion. I was about to say another word when the ship swayed once more.

"Hold on to that. I can't lose my favorite kitty. See you around, okay?" Bryce pushed a piece of wood to me. I saw his silhouette as he got up and fought his way to the other side of the ship, leaving me perplexed.

Another angered hush of wind swept through the air. My soaked clothes hovered closer to my body, making me shiver with the piercing cold even more. Bryce was right. With this kind of storm, no one could be certain if they could make it through alive. Bearing that in mind, I grabbed on tightly to the piece of wood that he gave me.

I had to be practical. Even if I knew how to swim, how far could that take me in this kind of storm? Several minutes? Hours if I was lucky.

Fear started to build up inside me as the water consumed half of the ship. Piercing waves persisted, and the winds grew stronger. I closed my eyes and prayed for the storm to pass through.