Unrest

She stood the in the distance not knowing where to turn or even who to turn to. So much tension, who could she have trusted? The added pressure too much to handle. She was holding on but inevitably slowly slipping. No one else wanted the burden. A weight she alone had to carry. So many choices what should she have chosen?  She knew the decision could only be made by the one carrying the load. Torn between getting rid of the problem and seeing it grow and strengthen. She thought of its future and the end of her teenage years. It could have gone either way. Then from nowhere carried by the cries of the wind, a voice whispered “it will be okay” and in rushed in abundance comfort and hope. Not able to explain it but she knew it would have been okay. Gently she placed her hand against her newly found light knowing her choice was right. Her baby grew in there her inspiration to continue on.

Michelle had heard it all a thousand times, in sex-ed. classes, at church and maybe anywhere else that found the need to educate the younger generation about the ups and downs of sexual intercourse. None of them however told you how fight the building lust that come from indirect pressure. The desire that courses through you at unexpected times just to tell you that you are maturing. They all say it, that this feeling that builds is natural that it is natural to feel this way. “Well if it was so natural why do they make us fight against it?” she would constantly ask herself. Guess she learnt that lesson the hard way. For Michelle was one of those who was submersed in the idea that being a teenage mother was and would never be a part of her distant future. Her denial dug the grave in which she presently lay.  

His beauty to her seemed indefinable. From the close-cropped hair and smiling eyes to the strong jaw and not too thick lips. James was no doubt easy on the eyes and the reason behind the building warmth in her mid-section or was it butterflies. She had no idea all she knew was that something was growing and it was intensifying every minute he took a step that brought him closer to her. His movement almost graceful in its masculine form as he dance his way seemingly through the cafeteria crowd. “Deep breaths” she told herself as she tried to rein in her seemingly incontrollable heart rate.

About a foot away from her she swore her heart had completely stooped. Try as hard as she might she tried to refrain from allowing her eyes to fall upon him. “Hi Michelle is it?” his voice a deep timbre that resonated throughout her entire body. It moved from her ears and slithered down her spine spreading familiar spikes of warmth in its wake. “Yes it is,” she paused, and then moved in a way that had her convinced the entire room had been switched to slow motion. She finally allowed herself the privilege of looking upon him and their gazes met and held. “I am James Donavan. I am in your Bio-chemistry class, not sure if you have noticed,” “it was impossible not to” she told herself, “but I heard that you were excellent at it and I am, well let’s just say I could do much better and I was wondering” “yes you were wondering” she anxiously spurred on in her head “if you could am… possible help me?”

She had expected sparks or some dramatically thing to happen but it didn’t. Maybe a faint when she finally realized what he was asking would occur.  The boy of her dreams with his caramel toned skin and funny colored eyes had just asked her, Michelle Jerkins, for assistance. She mustered the inner strength she never knew she had and smile as she tried to respond as coolly as she could. Which was a waste of time for her words still managed to pour shakily out of her lips as she responded “sure… no problem.” “Cool, how about, tomorrow after school, I could come by you and we could spend some time going over it” “I have to ask but I am sure that it would be okay” “Sure I really hope your parents say yes” “me too” she secretly wished. That afternoon she rushed straight home.