Chapter 17 - Drunk Chris

Sipping my green tea I scanned through my inbox, finding tons of articles about Chris and his now ex-wife, Anna. I had hoped they'd get back together knowing how much Chris loved his wife, but I guess Nick had been right all along. Sometimes love isn't enough. What surprised me was that Chris was actually in Tokyo as well. Nick hadn't mentioned that when we arrived at our hotel last week. I knew my boyfriend was still high on the excitement of starting a family, but I wished he mentioned that he was doing business with Chris here. That being the main reason why he needed to stay in Tokyo for a month.

"You find anything interesting?"

My hand shook when I heard that familiar Australian accent, making me spill my delicious green tea.

"Tons of interesting articles. Mostly about you." I admitted, thanking him when he helped me clean up the mess, "So Nick is your silent partner who suddenly became a not so silent partner?"

Chris smiled, his charming boyish smile which made women swoon, "We may have leaked something to the press." Chris shrugged a shoulder and took a seat across me, "Nick is a big name in this business, Emily, linking his name to my club here will definitely boost sales."

I wanted to say that I was really interested in their business, but I wasn't. What interested me right now was the fact that Chris looked really happy. Last time I saw him we were having a party to cheer him up. His talk with Anna must have helped him find peace and that made me a little curious.

"Is it true?" I cleared my throat when Chris raised an eyebrow at me in question, "Are you really divorced?"

Chris' eyes wandered to my phone, "It is." He admitted, "It's better this way. She doesn't love me, she was never in love with me-" It pained me when he actually smiled, the sad, heartbreaking smile, "So this one-sided thing was never going to work. Our marriage was doomed to fail."

"Why did she marry you in the first place?"

"I've been wondering about that for a very long time." He ordered himself a green tea as well when a waiter walked past our table and got comfortable in his seat, "Sometimes people want to fall in love with someone because you know that person will be good to you for the rest of your life, that they'll cherish you and protect you, make you feel loved and you'll force yourself to think that you're in love with that person, but you're actually not. And then your marriage is doomed to fail."

I wanted to say that I didn't know what he meant, but I did. You want to marry the good guy because you know he'll never break your heart, but when the good guy doesn't make your heart race, it just doesn't work out. I could have been in a relationship with Brandon, but he doesn't make my heart skip a beat with a mere look. Nick does. Being with Nick was dangerous. He could break my heart into a million pieces, but not being with him would hurt me more. A relationship was hard and most complicated. I just wished Chris would eventually find that girl who'd fall head over heels for him. He deserved it.

"If I had a close female friend I'd introduce you to her."

Laughing Chris shook his head at me, "Apparently being single is the best thing that could have happened to me. At least that's what Evan keeps telling me."

"Don't listen to Evan." I rolled my eyes, "It might be exciting to have a different girl in your bed every night, but it gets lonely. I know because Evan always comes over for dinner at our place. Always lingering around. He is like our adoptive child sometimes."

"I'd ask if there was room for one more, but I just decided with Nick that it's best if I stay in Tokyo for a while. To get this club up and running." He thanked the waiter who brought the tea over and held the cup tightly in his hands, "Though I thought Nick wanted to stay here instead, he suddenly decided that he couldn't..."