Chapter 9

CHARACTER VIEWS DO NOT REPRESENT MY OWN. Please be civil in the comment section.

School and college was cancelled for a week. Daryl's funeral was held on Saturday but it was limited to family only. On Monday we were asked to drop by to get our belongings back. I had just returned from college when the shop door opened from behind me. Jade was piercing a little girl's ears who immediately began screaming in pain and reaching for her father's hand.

I turned around, dropping my bag behind the counter, ready to greet a customer only to find out it was James and Charlie. "Oh, hey," I greeted, wondering what they wanted as a streak of apprehension flew through me. Whenever they visited it was never anything good.

"We were passing by when--" James started only for Charlie to interrupt him.

"I'm having a party tonight. I'm inviting you to come, what do you say?" Charlie asked eagerly, imploring me to say yes with his deep blue eyes.

"Uh..." I raised my eyebrows in surprise, unsure of what to say.

James shook his head. "You don't have to come. Charlie just --"

"Of course she has to come! She's part of us now, isn't she?"

"No, no, no, no. No way, I mean, I'm flattered and everything. But I'm not part of whatever you guys do." I held my hands up as if it would prove to them I was innocent.

"You've helped with Darcy and Paul and Irvin says you've been shoplifting with him."

"Irvin said what?" I choked on my spit, wide eyed. The little girl's father looked over at me in a disproving glare. I opened the shop door, indicating James and Charlie to follow me out. I started talking after I closed the door. "Whatever Irvin says its wrong. I've never stole anything before!"

"It's just a party. You can bring a friend, although... Cole probably wouldn't approve of that." Charlie frowned deeply, shaking back his sandy hair from his face and retracing his words. "Just come alone, there'll be plenty of people you should know."

"Again, you do--"

"Yes, she does, James! The more --"

"Charlie, if you interrupt me again I swear I will shove a gun up your ass," James growled out in irritation.

"Sheesh." Charlie peddled away, his mouth set into a small line.

"Great. He's throwing one of little bitch fits - Charlie, I can hear you mumbling curses, you idiot."

"Why is he so determined for me to come?" I asked curiously.

"He's like that with everyone he's asked. You don't understand how annoying it is to be begged to come to every party he holds." James sighed deeply through his nose, shoving a hand down his trousers pocket and coming out with a small slip of paper. "If you do decide to come..."

As James and Charlie got into their car, I glanced down at the scribbled address, conflicted in my thoughts.

To go or to stay?

*****
Jade had brought Seth Call of Duty and he was currently in his room, whooping at his kills and playing the game religiously.

As I helped Jade put away the food she had brought, I commented. "Dad would go berserk if he knew you brought him that."

Jade snorted like a horse, ripping open the packs of strawberry yogurts and stacking them in the fridge. "It's no big deal. He's a teenager who's never played anything other than My Little Pony."