Part 4

Much like the first time, I woke up in a dusty room with ropes keeping me in place. I didn't feel the panic like the first time but it still spread worry through me - Evan was knocked out somewhere and I was now on my own. I would have to try to get both of us out of here. 

Almost snorting at the thought, I turned my head to the side and noticed a slumped figure in a chair. My mouth opened, ready to call Evan's name but I noticed a figure moving behind him, keeping to the darkness of the room and allowing it to cloak them. 

"Glad the second time didn't knock you out permanently," Stephen said, leaning against the wall. I could just make out the shape of his face, his pale skin attracting the light. He had taken off his mask. "I see you made friends with one of my workers," he commented, walking forward and into the light. 

My mouth almost fell open at the sight of his face; he was covered in scars and burns. "Stephen..."

His lip curled in distaste. "Not attractive enough for you, like your pretty boy?" he asked, gesturing to Evan. "I wasn't aware you were dating him, if I had known-"

"I'm not dating him," I pointed out, frowning. "I'm not dating anyone."

"You are dating one of my men," he informed me. "If it isn't him, I wonder who it could be," he said, almost talking to himself. "I'm surprised your boyfriend didn't try to save you instead of this guy."

Furrowed eyebrows, I watched as Stephen walked around the table to my other side. What did he mean I was dating one of his men? I didn't have a boyfriend and the only person I was even remotely close to was Henry. He was the one who called the police; it's not as if he could be involved here. 

"Are you thinking over your boyfriend?" Stephen asked as he sat on the edge of the table, pushing my legs to the side. "Thinking of all the times he's disappeared without an explanation or didn't show up to a regular meet?" Stephen suggested as he swung his legs. 

The talk of my apparent boyfriend's whereabouts had taken my mind away from what I originally wanted to say to Stephen. "What happened?" I asked curiously. I didn't feel disgust or anything like it, I only felt bad that he felt ashamed. 

Stephen didn't respond, he continued to stare at me before turning his gaze across the length of my body. "I do hope you didn't get hurt in your struggle," he said, getting to his feet and touching a bruise on my leg. I winced and tried to move away but the rope held me firmly in place. "We took extra precaution and used more rope," he pointed out, poking the ones wrapped around my wrists. "If our only bait got away then it'd be pretty useless having this place all set up."

"You're ignoring my question," I told him, sighing. "There's no reason for you to be embarrassed or ashamed-"

"Who said I was?" he snapped, turning his gaze towards me. His dark eyes were like liquid fire as he glared at me. "I'm not ashamed of how I look. It's people like you who think I need to be!" 

Deciding not to comment on that, I asked "then why won't you tell me what happened?" 

His mouth opened and closed a few times before he turned away and walked over to the darkness of the room. I watched him carefully, uncertain what he could be hiding in the pitch black. If he was hiding a weapon, I was screwed. It didn't look like Evan was going to wake up anytime soon. 

"Stephen... you mentioned your sister," I began, my voice hesitant. "Did the same thing happen to her that happened to you?"

It was a while before he responded, his voice drifting out from the shadows. "Yes, we were both in the fire and I got out with these scars while she got out almost ten times worst. She was promised help-" he stopped short and almost growled. "All you rich girls are the same. Think you can bat your pretty eyelashes and get all the information you want out of a guy."