At The Train Station (Short Story)

• Dedicated to Dianne Manalili

"I'm late, I'm late, and I'm late. Excuse me. Please. Ex-I'm late.", I murmured while running for my life. Fudge. Kidding aside, I'm really late. I'd have to catch up with the skip train or else.

I ran as fast as I could to get into the station as fast as I can.

"Lord, please. I don't want to be late. Today's my preliminary exam.", I prayed as I run. When I got into the station's platform, it was empty. Not a single passenger waiting.

"You are so lucky.", I told myself. I just missed the train. I'd have to wait for more than 30 minutes to get to school. I heaved a deep sigh, sat on the ground with my back on the wall and closed my eyes. Today's my lucky day isn't it? Sigh.

I felt like someone's watching me. I opened my eyes and saw a guy on the other side of the platform. He's going North, I'm to the South. He looked like he just got unfortunate today. He quickly opened his bag and started looking for something. I got curious. What is it with me that made him hurry?

Then he showed a big red notebook and a permanent pen. He showed it to me as if to tell me, "I'll write something", then smiled. The cover was a heart figure with a letter C on it. Too girly for a guy like him, eh.

"Late for the train?", he asked me through the notebook. He didn't seem like a bad guy so so I quickly searched for a notebook and a marker. I wrote the date. 9/14/20**

"Yeah. You too?", I asked then stood up to see his answers clearer. I sat on the platform nearer to the tracks. He stood up too and sat closer to the platform, too.

"Yeah. It's my Prelims today. :("

"Me too! :("

"Such coincidence. :D"

"Haha. Where are you off to?",

"To North, to school. You?",

"To school, too.",

"We'll be waiting for 26 minutes more.",

"Yeah. And we're definitely late."

"Haha. Agree. I'm Tyrone by the way.", he said while smiling. That's when I noticed we were smiling and enjoying our way of conversation.

"Hi, Tyrone. :D I'm Clara."

"The name fits the owner. Haha."

"Haha. Yours too.", I said then quickly turned the page to ask another one. "May I ask you something?",

"What is it?",

"Why is the cover of that notebook colored red with a heart on it?",

"Because this is for the girl I love.",

"Oh. Does she know it?",

"Nope. She didn't know I exist until now.",

"Oh.. That's sad."

"Nah, it's okay. I've talked to her already and that's fine with me.",

I felt sorry for the guy. He looks good and yet the girl he loves did not know he existed.. Until just now. Maybe that's why he's late. He talked to her even if he'll miss the train.

I was about to answer when he showed another page of the notebook with his message.

"I love her though I can't tell her. I feel like a coward.",

"You should tell her. Whatever it may take.",

"You think so? What if she'll reject me?",

"She won't. I can feel you're a great guy.", I said then turned to another page. "She'll be lucky to have you."

"I hope so..", he said. Then I heard the choo of the train.

"Nice meeting you, Tyrone.", I wrote quickly.

"Same here, Clara. Thanks for talking to me.", he said. In a hurry, he turned to another page to write something again. "And hey..", he said.

The train's coming. I hurriedly fixed my things and asked him "what is it?", I was excited to board the train for class although I might already be late.

His shoulders moved as if he heaved a very deep sigh, looked down, slowly raised his head to look at me then smiled. My heartbeat pounded. Then he shook his head and waved goodbye. His train just came, the same time my train came.

What could be his last words he didn't tell me? I asked myself. Such a fool of me to ask a question only he could answer. I found an empty seat and sat comfortably. I looked back at the window behind me.

I am not sure why but I was expecting to see Tyrone as our train pass by each other. Yes, I saw him. He was reading the big red notebook. Then I felt like reading my notebook, too. Silly of me, smiling alone inside a train while not even caring if others will laugh at me.

I just feel happy. "Will I see you again?", a part of me asked.

Yeah.. Will I?

"I'm late, I'm late, and I'm late. Excuse me. Please. Ex-I'm late.", I murmur while running for my life. Fudge. Kidding aside, I'm really late. I'd have to catch up with the skip train or else.

I ran as fast as I could to get into the station as fast as I can.

"Lord, please. I don't want to be late. My friend will kill me.", I prayed as I run. When I got into the station's platform, it was empty. Not a single passenger waiting. I felt nostalgic suddenly. In this very same station, two years ago. I sat on the platform with the wall against my back. I inhaled.. exhaled.. inhaled.. and exhaled again. I closed my eyes and remembered the guy I met and had an unusual conversation with.

Then my heart pounded. The same racing heartbeat I had.. I opened my eyes and looked at the platform across.

Empty.

I felt disappointed. I was expecting the same scenario years ago. I heaved a deep sigh..

Then I heard footsteps coming near. It's coming from my left. I looked up and saw a tall man in suit. He looked oh-so professional. He took off the glasses he is wearing then I felt like I finally found something.. someone ,rather, that I have been searching for so long.

As I was about to speak, he took a notebook from his bag. Red, old and familiar.

"And hey..", said the message on the paper.

"W-what?", I asked, trembling. Then he turned to another page.

"That girl's you. :)", he said. I smiled. He searched for a page on the notebook and showed it to me, covering by his hands some words written.

"I'm Tyrone by the way.", then he held his hand. "It's nice to see you again, Clara.", he said.

"Same here. I've always waited for this day that I'd see you again..", I said, giving him my sweetest smile.

"It has always been you.", he whispered.

[End]