What's Your Super-power?

Chapter 4

"Help me get him on the bed!" I yelled, scrambling to Thomas' side. Vycandor seemed hesitant to touch him. "C'mon. What are you waiting for?"

Cautiously approaching as if Thomas might bite, Vycandor reached down – both of us grabbing an arm and a leg each to gently carry him to the bed.

Poised over his ruined back I realized I'd been partially wrong about what had caused all the damage. Surprisingly, there was very minimal bleeding. The jagged edges of the angry wounds showed radiating tear marks made by powerful claws that were best suited for shredding its victims. Definitely not human. Whatever had attacked Thomas tore at his muscles to immobilize him, but had not quite reached his ribcage. Thankfully there was no damage to his heart or lungs. At least, not as far as I could tell.

The longer wounds across the top of his hips were more evenly spaced suggesting they too had been made by the claws of an enormous animal that held him down while it fed, careful to keep him alive as long as possible. How he managed to get away was a complete mystery.

All I knew with any certainty was that a zombie didn't attack Thomas. Besides, zombies didn't care if they kept you alive while they snacked on you. I didn't have a clue about what kind of creature could possibly do this much damage, but I was willing to bet that Vycandor did.

"We need to get him to a hospital," Edgar said, appearing out of nowhere.

I brushed him off thinking about Carmen and the guys. "There's no time. And even if there was, the hospital's a zoo right now."

A horrible scream of pure towering fury ripped from Vycandor's mouth. I gasped and craned my neck to watch him morph into a beast again, trying not to hear the disgusting sounds of bones breaking, tendons snapping, muscles tearing, and skin stretching to impossible limits. When it was finally all over, Vycandor sagged against the bed panting – the monster he preferred to keep carefully hidden within now on full display. My blood had only temporarily appeased his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde nature, not healed him as I'd hoped.

Soon...too soon...he would be thirsting for what only I could give him to take away the hunger. Right then I had more pressing issues to deal with. Like trying to figure out how to bring Thomas back from the brink of death.

Rubbing my hands together until they filled with heat, I thrust the power into him causing his body to jerk and convulse from the force. His mangled back shuddered as his body worked under my guidance to feverishly knit itself back together, leaving new raw skin in place of the wounds.

When Thomas failed to regain consciousness right away, I thought I'd lost him.

Vycandor catapulted away from the bed with renewed determination and flipped Thomas over onto his newly healed back. Hovering anxiously above his head, Vycandor's massive hands gripped Thomas by the shoulders to pin him down. "Try again," he urged. "Aim for his heart."

I poured everything I had directly into Thomas' chest, and then some. All my love, all my strength, even my stubborn will for him to live. Chest heaving up and down, his body bucking wildly from the force, that final thrust of urgent power drained me. It would be a while before I regained enough energy to try again.

Failing to revive him, I resorted to weakly pounding on his chest like a small child. "Wake up, wake up. I refuse to exist without out you. Wake up, damn it!"

Vycandor interrupted me by coming around my side to check for a pulse. "He's alive, but barely. There's nothing left to do now, except wait."

I stared up at him blankly. "You don't understand. We don't have time to wait."