Chap. 22. What REALLY happened

NOOOOO!!!!!!  THE COUNT DOWN IS OVER! I FAILED YOU D: *cries* Im SOOOOO sorry!        (OH! PRETTY FIRE WORKS! OUTSIDE!) anyway... Im still uploading the rest of the story though.

Chapter Twenty-Two, What REALLY happened

Percy stared at his mom, trapped in a shower of gold. He reached out to touch her, but couldn't.

"Yes," Hades said with satisfaction. "I took her. I knew, Percy Jackson, that you would come to bargain with me eventually. Return my helm, and perhaps I will let her go. She is not dead, you know. Not yet. But if you displease me, that will change."

Percy seemed to be in a battle with himself.

"Ah, the pearls," Hades said. Percy paled. "Yes, my brother and his little tricks. Bring them forth, Percy Jackson."

Percy took out and showed the pearls to Hades.

I realized then that Percy wanted to save his mother, but there were four of us... and only three pearls. I suddenly remembered telling Percy that no gifts came without a price. This was the price.

"Only three," Hades said. "What a shame. You do realize each only protects a single person. Try to take your mother, then, little godling. And which of your friends will you leave behind to spend eternity with me? Go on. Choose. Or give me the backpack and accept my terms."

Percy looked at us. I knew he really wanted to save his mother. From what I heard, she was really nice. Better than my dad or stepmom could ever be. I instantly felt bad. Here Percy had a nice mother who loved him, and he had to choose whether or not to sacrifice something and save her,

"We were tricked," Percy said. "Set up."

"Yes, but why?" I asked. I thought again about the voice in the pit. It could be important for Percy to know. "And the voice in the pit-"

"I don't know yet," Percy said, cutting me off. "But I intend to ask."

Yes, but I'm intending to tell you! I opened my mouth to tell Percy, but before I could, Hades yelled, "Decide, boy!"

"Percy," Grover said, putting his hand on Percy's shoulder. "You can't give him the bolt."

"I know that." Percy said.

"Leave me here." Grover said. "Use the third pearl on your mom."

"No!" Percy protested. I was also taken aback. Grover shouldn't have to sacrifice himself!

"I'm a satyr." Grover said. "We don't have souls like humans do. He can torture me until I die, but he won't get me forever. I'll just be reincarnated as a flower or something. It's the best way."

"No!" I protested, drawing my bronze knife. Grover also had plans in life. He wanted to search for Pan. And Percy obviously needed to reunite with his mother. It was best if I stayed behind. "You two go on. Grover, you have to protect Percy. You have to get your searcher's license and start your quest for Pan. Get his mom out of here. I'll cover you. I plan to go down fighting." If I had to die, I would die fighting.

"No way," Grover said. "I'm staying behind.

No you're not! "Think again, goat boy." I said.

"Stop it, both of you!" Percy cried. "I know what to do. Take these." He handed each of us a pearl.

"But, Percy..." I said. What about his mother?

Percy had a pained look on his face. He turned and faced his mother. "I'm sorry," he told her. "I'll be back. I'll find a way."