29 - Tribute (1 of 2)

Three in the morning was the worst time of the day to deal with Vincent’s anger management issues.

Just last night, he hugged me all of a sudden like I was his most favorite person in the world. He even let me sleep in his bed, which was a huge deal. And I don’t want to sound like High School Musical, but thought that might be the start of something new. I wished.

It all slipped back to the bipolar and annoying when Luci got in our bedroom without even a warning and told us to get ready. For what, she didn’t say why. Something urgent, I guessed. She was going all Medusa on me with those hard stares.

After that, Vincent got all wound up again and snapped at me for anything. He was back again to his usual inauspicious self, which only worsened when he saw Cerberus peering over us as we got out of the house.

I tried to block him from Vincent’s view. But it wasn’t like it was possible to hide a dog this big.

He had made a makeshift cubby-hole by digging into the lawn, not without felling a couple cherry trees in the process. It looked like he wasn’t planning on leaving anytime soon and no one tried to make him.

A few carpenters were already working on the red gates he trampled on when he followed us home last night. They were quiet as they worked, carefully avoiding Cerberus’ spot.

As we passed by, Cerberus lifted his middle head and sniffed. The snub-nosed one started to pant with its tongue hanging lopsidedly. His tail wagged, sending gusts that made the trees sway to a dangerous point.

“No! Bad dog, Cerberus!” Byron Flynn hissed, his red head emerging from under one of Cerberus’ front paws.

The snooty one made a soft yodeling sound and brought its massive head down.

I stopped within safe distance. “Uhm… You okay in there?”

He waved at us as much as his current position would allow. “Go ahead! I have this all taken care of!”

By the time we arrived at Sathariel’s study, a.k.a. Hell’s Museum of Earth Stuff, I was wishing I had smothered him in his sleep. To think I even got so worried I ditched my silent protest when I saw him almost-crying in his sleep. Must be some horrible dream. Like being fed lima beans against his will or something.

Luci was already there. She and Vincent exchanged meaningful looks when they thought I wasn’t paying attention. They had a special connection like that. And they didn’t even need Diviner’s Charms.

I occupied the chair at the farthest corner, crossing my arms and staring at the faux fireplace.

Before long, Belial arrived, swaying slightly as she crashed down the first couch from the door. Obviously, it’s never too early to get drunk for her.

“What’d he say?” Vincent asked, tapping his boots on the floor.

“The expected,” she sighed groggily. “He’s too old-fashioned, that one. Wouldn’t even break his silly borin’ rules for his own—“ She pressed her mouth shut, suddenly looking more awake as her eyes shifted between Vincent and Luci.

“You had too much wine, Belial.” Luci forced out a shrill laugh.

“Yes.” Belial rubbed her temples. “I guess, I did.”

The door slid behind us, spewing out Sathariel and Levi. Looked like this was going to be a major Board Meeting.

I saw Grigori by the entrance. But instead of coming in, he sat on the floor and slid the door close. The rice paper covering the latticed frame was thin so I could still see his hunched figure guarding the room.