Chapter Three

I watch the clock, intently waiting for my shift to end. The last few customers pay for their meals and leave the diner without another word. I bus the tables and walk back into the backroom for my bag and jacket. I toss the apron off and clock out on my way out the door. June hadn't gotten back to me about hanging out today since Thursday. I walk out the door, carrying my jacket. I walk the few blocks back to the apartment and I unlock my door, bolting it back shut again.

I hurry towards the shower, noting that I only had about forty-five minutes to get ready. I take a short shower and rush into my bedroom. I pull on my underwear and some dark skinny jeans. I pad around my house in my jeans and bra, trying to figure out with to do with my hair and what shirt I was going to wear. I go back into the bedroom, shaking my hair out with a towel as I go through my dresser. I decide on a white tanktop and a black sweatshirt that cut off at my middrift.

I slip on some socks and tug on my tennis shoes, tying them tightly. I go into the bathroom and brush through my hair, getting it as straight as possible. I blot on some pink lip gloss and put on a little mascara. I hear my phone buzz and I pick it up, checking the new message that I have received from June. 'Hey Im outside. Hurry up we have a long drive ahead of us!' I smile as I type back.

'Be right down.' I give myself a once-over in the mirror and quickly grab my bag, phone, and keys. I make sure to lock the door behind me and I head down. I spot her car parked right in front and I jog towards it. I get in the passenger seat beside June, and right off the bat, I am speechless. Underneath her black lip ring, her lips are painted a bright red, her eyes were lightly touched up with some greys and blues, making her eyes stand out. She had on a bright blue tanktop with a black vest over top of it, along with some light-blue, ripped, skinny jeans. Her hair is thrown around and pulled around to one side.

She smiles at me and my heart skips a beat. Her eyes look me over and I feel my cheeks turn red hot. "You look good," she says. I smile and play with my fingers.

"Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself." She chuckles and puts the car in drive. "So, where are you taking me?"

"Bridesdale." I raise a brow.

"Why?" She shrugs her shoulders as she pulls back onto the main road.

"Because there's a new mall there and I wanted to do something friendly and take you shopping...maybe out to eat...a movie perhaps if we have time. Do you have a time that you are wanting to be brought home?" I shake my head.

"Nope. I am off work tomorrow so whatever you want to do we can do. Dinner and movie sounds great, but I don't have the money for all this." June shrugs her shoulders.

"That's why I'm paying for it." My eyebrows shoot up in unison.

"But this sounds like an expensive trip, June. I-I can't ask you to pay for all of this." She shrugs her shoulders.

"You aren't asking me. I'm offering. Besides, I am the one who asked if we could hang out and therefore I will be the one that pays." I sigh softly and touch her arm.

"You don't have to do this." She slips on some aviator shades, smirking.

"I want too, there's a difference you know." I watch her hands grip the steering wheel a little tighter, her fingerless leather gloves squeaking against it. I move my hand slowly. The drive is long, but we fill it up by talking. June really knows her way around a joke. As the time progresses, we start to talk about each other, learning more. She begins to talk about her brother, Jack.

"He's a freshmen in high school, and he isn't socially awkward like I was. Thank God, the poor kid would be miserable going through what I had too." I listen intently, intrigued by her story.