Caught Chp. 4

CHAPTER FOUR-PIPER

"Hi Jason." I call when I finally spot him at the party. I wonder where Reyna is. She's supposed to be with him. He nods at me. "Hi Pipes. Reyna just went to the bathroom." he explains apologetically. Oh. That's what it was. "So what's up?" he asks.

"Mount Olympus." I tease. "Nothing. Just your dad." He laughs. "How 'bout it?" he says.

"Cool necklace Jason." I lie through clenched teeth; it has an SPQR inlaid in gold on a coin like his spear/sword one. "Reyna gave it to me." He says sheepishly. That's when we hear it. A girl's scream. Jason goes into that phase of his. "It's Reyna!" he shouts. I wish he knew my scream by heart. He pulls out his real coin. "CHIRON!! GET YOUR EQUESTRIAN BUTT OVER HERE!" Annabeth shouts. The centaur comes, his tail flicking nervously. "Children, please don't-" But Annabeth, Percy and Jason are already gone. I sigh and dash after them. "Aaaaah! Don't you dare- get your hands off me NOW! You fiend." Reyna's voice screams desperately. "That's right honey." something hisses as the scene comes into view. "I'm a fiend. A growling, low monster." it half -purrs half-snarls.

"Jason!!" she cries. I see the monster. It's a manticore. I look at its poisonous spikes flicker across its wide tail and know Reyna's a goner. An enormous cyclops, not Percy's half-brother, Tyson and a young woman's silhouette nearby. "Ha ha ha! A Roman in a Greek camp? How ridiculous is that?" the cyclops says. Reyna struggles against the manticore's grip. "I'm just visiting my boyfriend. Let me go!" she wails. HER boyfriend huh? Why I came to help, I have no idea. I'm about to turn when Jason's figure comes up. "Let her GO!" he shouts. Annabeth and Percy rush behind him, wielding Riptide and Annabeth's knife. I yank Katoptris out of its sheath. My dagger had served me well before. I charge towards Jason and friends. I swerve to their right. "Thought you'd never join us." Percy grinned, his voice resounding into the twilight. I duck, my training kicking in. "Hyah!" I plunge my dagger into the cyclops's arm. He yowls with pain. Oof. He flings his arm out towards me and I land mangled in a nearby shrub. Suddenly, as I get up, everyone halts. I see why. "Move and she dies." the woman hisses. My heart rate quickens. The lady has a knife directed at an unconscious Reyna's neck. The cyclops whirls away in a poof of smoke. I get a glimpse of the girl as the moon rises. She's blonde, with blue eyes and...fangs. A vampire? She cackles and she and Reyna disappear in red mist. The manticore follows. "Damn dracnae." Annabeth curses some more, but in Greek. So I guess that's what its called. Jason crumbles on the ground, with his head in his knees, clutching a torn piece of fabric. It's from Reyna's dress. He's also grasping her exquisite necklace. "Gone..." he mutters while making his knuckles white because he's gripping the stuff so hard. "Hey Jason, it's all right. We can find her." I pat his back. He just shakes his head. Chiron gallops towards us and takes a look around. "Leo's already prepared. He heard the news. He said he'll take you on the Argo II. Get packed."