Surprise after surprise

They say you have different types of laughs for different situations. Every one has their nervous laugh, the cackle, the just blowing air through your nose laugh, the 'that's totally not fully but i'll give you a LOL for effort' laugh and the whole hearted, snort laugh.

Well this? This situation is definitely a no sound, crying, clapping like a seal laugh. Using my index finger I wiped just under my water line and dragging outwards, my mum always taught me to do this when you're crying. It reduces smudging and prevents you looking like a panda, when you're wearing make-up and it just became a habit.

I wiped my hands of my jeans, fanned myself a took a few breaths. I pointed to Dr. O'Shea "oh you're funny, thank you I needed that."

She gave me a small smile. It's one of those smiles you give to cute, clueless children when they ask what we would deem 'stupid' questions or just say something adorable out of the blue. She placed a hand on mine that are resting on my lap. I looked down at her hands and then looked at her, raising my eyebrow.

"I'm not joking sweetie, you're pregnant."

My smile dropped. I searched for any sign that she was messing with me, I couldn't find any.

"CrazyDoctorOnDrugsTalkingJibberishSayWhat?"
"I thought you knew, you're going to be a mother."

What has she been smoking? I'm too young to be a mother. No way, no how, nu-uh.

"I'm sorry Gabriel but the name's Alex not Mary"
"What?"
"This isn't immaculate conception."
"I'm not following."
"It is impossible for me to be pregnant."
"Darling, contraception isn't always 100% effective."

She's really not following me at all. I swear girls like me are like bloody unicorns this day in age. I guess i'm going to have to spell it out.

"Mine is."
"What? Now that's impossible"
"No it's not see i'm a Virgin."

She was shocked. She took a few steps back and gave me the look that a mother would give a child when asking them if they took the cookies. We all know that "don't-you-dare-lie-to-me-because-I-will-find-out-the-truth' look.
When I held her stare she knew I was serious.

"Are you sure?"

Am I sure? Yes, Because I wouldn't notice a guy between legs.

"Yes, i'm sure."

She scurried out of the room like a headless chicken. I sat on the bed swinging my legs like a child, enjoying the view from the window. The sun is shining and I can see the new recruits doing their jumping jacks. Training is something you never forget, now before you get smart, I mean the experience. Marines in your face shouting at you. Treating you like what you are, bottom of the food chain. If you let it, the course will chew you up and spit you out.

When you're training it's hell. You think they get some weird satisfaction out of it and boy do they. It's a way of life, it's like initiation. Everyone has to go through it. It separates the weak from the strong. They do their best to break you, you come out a Marine or exactly that, broken. In my case the Corp was my saving grace.

There was a gust of wind alerting me to someone opening the door. Frantic Dr. O'Shea came in. She checked my chart again. She looked like she was about to pull her hair out.

"I'm sorry about the wait."
"You're fine, don't worry. I was just reminiscing on the old days."

She gave me a weak smile which I tried to mirror. Hopefully my attempt was better than hers.

"So what's the word hummingbird?"

You could say i'm taking this really well but honestly i'm confident in myself. I'm not pregnant. I know that for a fact. Plus it's funny to watch her all worked up.
I do have to admit it does have me thinking of what if I was......
Sure i'm still a kid myself but i'm starting to think i'll never be old enough to know better.