*Chapter 07: Babysitting

I'd rather regret trying something, then not giving it a go.

It has been a week since that day. I haven't told Max what really happened in that hospital room, although he told me to call him if anything happens. And as for the baby, I've decided to keep it. I was even looking a bit towards a bright future. When I closed my eyes and thought of the embryo in my belly, I'd see the future with a child playing with me. That was enough for me. All worries seemed to disappear when I focused on my future with a little child I would be proud to call mine running around, playing with Ayden or even a dog if we had one.

As for Blake, I sincerely doubted that I would ever see that man again. I didn't even have any means to contact him, so I gave up. He would have probably wanted me to have an abortion or call me a gold digger with his kind of personality.

Melissa asked me to go over and babysit Amy since she had to go to some family meeting. Her family had, as she explained to me, these kinds of gatherings at least once a year, but she didn't want to take Amy because her relationship with them was still . . . icy. She planned to leave her at her brother's place for the weekend. But since he also had to go, she asked me to watch over her kid until they returned. Pretty unplanned if you ask me, but having to spend an entire day with two kids seemed like a great way for me to kill my boredom. So, here I was, standing in front of a mansion. Actually it was more like a castle, so let me correct myself. I was standing in front of the gates of her brother's castle.

Damn, why is everyone turning out to be rich around me lately? Hell, even I seem a bit rich if it were not for my aunt.

"Nonsense, Kaley." She started. "This is just a mansion. Not a family one, of course. My brother never liked living in the family mansion so he moved to this smaller one," she said. Maybe her brother was delusional, because that house was freaking huge! This small peasant does not understand the minds of you rich people.

I sighed. No point in arguing. I glanced over where Amy and Ade stood talking to each other before she grabbed him by his hand and led him inside. They should definitely keep me busy. A brave little girl and boy who thought himself to be a hidden superhero . . . Ah, I hope I won't fall asleep during the day.

"Yeah, sure. Now go, the sooner you leave, the sooner you return to help me deal with these devils!" I silently prayed that she'd be back as soon as possible. I was afraid of what could happen in that house with its owner far from here and me being responsible for those two.

"All right. Uncle Alfred!" She called out and a butler appeared. My heart almost stopped by his sudden appearance and I couldn't suppress the thought that her brother was a bit batman–like. "This is Kaley. She came to look after Amy until my brother and I return. Where is that punk anyway?"

To be honest, seeing her gangster-like attitude, I almost shed a fake tear of compassion for her brother.

"He's already left because his date, in his words, a clawed witch from the nineteenth floor of hell that Satan himself sent, has been bugging him to hurry up," Alfred answered with a scowl on his face. I immediately thought that I liked him. The honesty in his voice surprised me and I thought that he'd be great to talk with. Rich people have their own drama, like going on a date with someone you obviously don't like. Sure enough, it's better to be a simple peasant like me. Fuck, did I just scold myself? Is this the legendary mood swing of pregnant women?

"Don't tell me, he brought her out of all people?" Mel had the same scowl as him while dramatically waving her hands around. I guessed that whoever that woman was, she really was a witch from hell. It took a lot for Mel to hate someone.