Aftermath

"All stand for our final song this mournful evening. I trust you all to know this song, however, there is a print in the order of service leaflet for those unsure of the lyrics. This, precious children, is Amazing Grace, our final send of to the recently deceased Hailey Lucinda Jones, still beloved by our Lord. We will remember her as a courageous and beautiful young lady with a fighting spirit, who's battle for life wore her down until she lost all hope, but who still carried herself with an air of confidence and defiance, and who honoured everyone even when she did not honour herself. Farewell, sweet child of our Lord, may you rest in peace forever more."

The reverand finished his dramatic speech, closing his Bible with a soft thud, and made a cross sign over the glossy black coffin. Beth stood silently, staring at that coffin, as everyone else broke into ragged song. It was hard to believe that the glossy black box contained the body of Hailey. It seemed too cold, too solid. Hailey had always been warm, all soft curves and pale skin. Beth closed her eyes. No. Hailey would've liked the coffin. It matched her raven hair, and the sharp angles personified the pain and torment of her life, each cut on her wrist, each cut of each word each day. 

The order of service quivered in Beth's hands. It was made of a pale cream glossy material, decorated with pretty gold vines. The front had the same gold vines forming words:

                                  IN LOVING MEMORY OF HAILEY LUCINDA JONES

                                   A BELOVED FRIEND, DAUGHTER AND SISTER. 

                                                       MAY SHE REST IN PEACE. 

Beth winced. She had never known that Hailey had any siblings, until today. But there they stood, on the front pew. Two half-sisters, and a half-brother. Her dad was there next to them, next to his new wife. Hailey's drunkard mum was still sat down, swigging from a secret flask and letting twin tears streak down her face. Beth couldn't tell if she was sorry for her daughters death, or just feeling the emotional pain in the room. Maybe her alcohol was just too strong. 

Hailey lay on the floor, her body limp, the gun held loosely in her lifeless arms. A dark circle of red welled up around the bullet wound in her head. It was partially covered by hair so it wasn't horrifying to look at. They hadn't been scared to see her body. They were emotionless with shock. Hailey's mom had came ambling up the stairs. Seeing her daughter lying there, she had glared at them, and thrown a bottle into the corner of the room before ambling back away. Beth and Ryan heard her fall down the stairs. Neither of them could find the sympathy to help her. 

It was Ryan who had eventually called the ambulance. Not for Hailey, of course. For her mom. She didn't deserve it, but she was blocking their way out. While they had been waiting for the ambulance to arrive, they'd started to gather up the diary entries scattered around, clearing up the mess. They'd read each one. They'd learnt each of Hailey's secrets, rediscovered each crime each person had committed to Hailey. Beth read all about her part in Hailey's misery, and cried. Ryan hugged her as he read all about his own vile actions. They both felt sick to the core at what they and others had done to the girl lying next to them.

Looking back, Hailey had never deserved any of the crap they gave her. She'd been a sweet kid, shy and helpful and eager to make friends. She had been painfully honest and open, and that had been her downfall. As soon as people realised how easy she was to hurt, they fell upon her like hungry wolves, hyenas laughing harshly at anothers pain. She'd been the easy victim. Beth shuddered at the thought. 

When the ambulance had arrived, they'd grasped Mrs. Jones immediately, rushing her away. Then they'd ran up the stairs, quickly discovering the three teenagers. They'd seen Hailey, and rushed for her with a body bag. The other teenagers were taken too, stiffly bundled off to hospital, treated for shock, given asperin and sent to talk with police officers and some people who were meant to be emotional support. Then they'd been sent off, still clutching Hailey's diary entries.