The Lost

The Lost

The temperature is dropping, the water rising, as I walk up to the edge of the Sea of Forgotten Memories. As I stand with my back to the Land of Lost Dreams, the storm of Unknown Future builds to a crescendo as night falls.

Night: a time of doubt in the Forgotten Realms. Governed as we are by all that is experienced by those Outside, we are utterly dependant on their moods, their aspirations, their dreams and their nightmares. Without them, would we even be?

Those few of us who exist here do so only on the whim of those whose fragmented dreams have left space for us to exist. We are but will-o-the-wisps in a land of change and chaos. All we can hope is that the continually shifting maelstrom allows us a door to another reality before this one ceases to be.

We travel from realm to realm, endlessly searching, for only through the dreams of others can we try to find where we truly belong.

Stranded in this strange land, I find myself amidst failed hopes, discarded promises, darkness and light. Myriad small droplets contain the broken, half finished and littered remnants of a million nightly journeys: a sea of them splash at my feet.

They lie dark, pearlescent and unending, luring like ripened fruit. I lift up a droplet and gaze into someone else's dreamscape. There are so many, yet none give me the answer I seek.

How am I here? And Why?

~~~ The End ~~~