Prologue

Heart

of the Wolf

Terry Spear

Copyright © 2008 by Terry Spear

Cover and internal design © 2008 by Sourcebooks, Inc.

Cover photo © Corbis

Sourcebooks and the colophon are registered trademarks of Sourcebooks, Inc.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems—except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles or reviews—without permission in writing from its publisher, Sourcebooks, Inc.

The characters and events portrayed in this book are fictitious or are used fictitiously. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental and not intended by the author.

Published by Sourcebooks Casablanca, an imprint of Sourcebooks, Inc.

P.O. Box 4410, Naperville, Illinois 60567-4410

(630) 961-3900 Fax: (630) 961-2168 www.sourcebooks.com

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data

Spear, Terry.

Heart of the wolf / Terry Spear.

p. cm.

ISBN-13: 978-1-4022-1157-7

ISBN-10: 1-4022-1157-0

I. Title.

PS3619.P373H43 2008

813'.6--dc22

2007048865

Printed and bound in the United States of America OPM   10   9   8   7   6   5   4   3   2   1

To my mother, daughter, and son with all my love for their support in my writing endeavors.

Acknowledgments

To Deb Werksman, who believed in the world I created and gave me the chance to share my story. And to my critique partners who have been there every step of the way. Thanks Rebel Romance Writers, Vonda, Judy, Pam, Randy, Tammy, Carol, Betty, and Darcy!

Prologue

1850

Colorado

AS SOON AS HE STRIPPED NAKED, HE’D BE HERS.

Unbraiding her hair, Bella’s blood heated with desire while she observed the dark-haired boy. He looked about eighteen, two years older than she. He yanked off one boot, then another, at the lake’s edge. It wasn’t the first time she’d watched him peel out of his clothes, but it was the first time she’d join him. If he had a taste of her, wouldn’t he crave her? Hunger to be like her? Wild and free?

She swallowed hard, longing to be Devlyn’s mate— rather than some human’s—but it would never be. Lifting her chin, she resolved to make the human hers. She untied her ankle-high boots, then slipped them off her feet.

The human boy’s pet gray wolf rested at the shoreline, his ears perked up as he watched her. But the boy didn’t see her—he was unobservant, as most humans were.