Reapers Special - Sworn (1 of 2)

Aramis looked the same as when I first saw her in Physics class.

Bluish-gray eyes the shape of big almonds. A delicate but gentle nose. A forehead a bit too wide for my liking. Narrow oval face, highlighted by high cheekbones and a full lower lip. Only now, her taupe wavy hair had grown past her modest waist.

Her appearance was unchanging. Unaffected by time. But it was all a lie.

Whenever she smiled, it did not reach her eyes. As I looked into them, a wholly-unfamiliar person stared back at me. The gullibility in her visage was now but an endangered spectacle. After witnessing all the horrors of immortality, she’d become distant, quite inscrutable. And I was the one who had paved the way to all her sorrows. The fault was mine.

“It’s not your fault, Vincent,” Luci soothed me, patting my back with a gentle hand.

She’d almost always known what I was thinking. Knew the right words to say each and every time. Words I’d like to hear. Sugary fabrications for my own solace. Nevertheless, the core of me screamed otherwise.

As we crossed the threshold of the decrepit laboratory, Luci explained what happened to Aramis.

“You were injured and had lost a lot of blood,” she began, halting briefly to face Aramis. “That’s why Levi and Grigori brought you here. This is the only building in Halja that is not made from Helcium. All you see here are built from the outside world—from Earthrealm.”

Aramis’ bemused eyes stayed down. If she was listening intently or just didn’t care, it was difficult to tell.

“A friend of mine from two centuries ago helped me build it. He was an… outsider such as yourselves,” Luci resumed, her yellow-green eyes straying on the twilight staging on the lines of the horizon. “I suppose, we shared an extreme fascination towards humans and their sciences. And so we created this laboratory in the hopes of understanding humankind in the deepest, most thorough manner possible. We did experiments of all sorts; most of which, I’m not proud to speak of. But even now, Eldest’s excessive affection towards humans despite their imperfections still bewilders us.

“At any rate, this very structure remains free from Halja’s Binds. Within these walls, it’s as if you’re still on earth. You heal quicker.” She flashed a rather flamboyant smile towards Aramis.

It seemed as though she was trying her best to be in Aramis’ good books. Bad move.

Knowing Aramis, she’d get suspicious at the slightest sign of gushiness. Girl’s paranoid that way. Possibly with Amyr as the only exception. The guy tattles hysterical day and night. Plus, she didn’t mind. Unexpectedly, they got along too well. To a point near problematic.

Aramis bit her lip, ogling Byron Flynn. The dog reversed upon reaching the threshold. Pawing at the floor. Bobbling his head. Whining. Making a fuss.

The long cut across his muzzle—a consequence of his hesitation in dodging Aramis’ scythe—had stopped bleeding, but still open.

I’d never imagined Aramis fighting the way she did. Been slashed a few times myself. Could’ve been lethal if we weren’t in a Bind-Free Zone.

It was all Alessandra. The fighting style said it all. Remorseless. Without hesitation.

“C-can you go ahead? I’ll stay behind with Byron Flynn.” Her voice was fragile, papery.

My chest just imploded.

“After what just happened? What now?!” The words came out louder than I’d expected. I twisted and seized her wrist. “So you can yourself neck-deep in trouble again the moment I turn my back on you? Aramis, can you just stop being such a pain for one second and give me a freaking break?!”

First, she recoiled. Then, her lips quivered. And that was it for me. In an instant, I regretted my actions. If sorry was enough, I’d have said it a thousand times.

Counting to ten. Deep breaths. In, out. One thousand seven. One thousand eight…

On the last number, I coerced my fingers to release her.

“Byron Flynn’s wound hasn’t closed up,” she murmured frantically, rubbing her wrist, eyes down. “Once he goes out, it won’t heal as fast. I swear I’ll wait outside. T-that way, there’s little chance she’ll come out.”

Her tendency towards self-blame was astounding. It took an effort to keep myself from giving her a round of applause.

“Let’s go, Vincent,” Luci urged.

We had a lot of explaining to do once this comes to Sathariel’s knowledge. Entering a prohibited place. Violating the Anti-Aggression Law. Luci definitely had to brace herself for some good old fatherly scolding. From the devil.

I was hesitant almost loathe to leave Aramis to her own devices.

Gritting my teeth, I started dragging Luci down the stairs, pausing only to say, “Suit yourself. If crap happens, don’t expect any help from me,” without looking at her.

Levi and Grigori waited by the stairs.

“How’s she?” Grigori asked.

“Well,” Luci answered when I didn’t. “She requested to stay behind with Byron Flynn."

“That’s a relief,” Grigori sighed, patting the beads of sweat on his prominent forehead. “But what are we going to do with him?” He cocked his bushy head behind him.

Cerberus’ nose poked through the gap between the trees where the woods began. He just sat there, waiting, guarding.

Levi crossed his arms on his chest. “It appears the Guardian have developed a liking to your familiar, Reaper. I am as of the moment, trying to decide if this is a problem or an advantage.”

I sighed. First, Amyr. Then, Byron Flynn. And now, Cerberus.

“What is it with her and dogs?” I muttered to myself.

Grigori let out a shaky laugh. “He’s not planning to attack, is he? ‘Cause if he is, he’d have done so earlier.”

The three-headed dog shifted on his legs. He must have realized that we were talking about him.

We all stared at him watchfully for a breathless minute. When it seemed that nothing was going to happen, we huddled and kept our voices low.

“Just… be careful,” Luci advised, a wary façade about her.

“Keep an eye on Aramis, will you?” I asked, looking away. As much as I’d hate to admit it, I needed help from these Helions. “She’s quite... difficult. But if she turns while I’m not around… p-please go easy on her. I’ll deal with her myself.”

I took my leave before they could refuse. It was already hurting my pride more than it should, having to grovel for them to babysit my familiar. I wasn’t about to say please twice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As promised, here it is! The Reapers Special. A Vincent POV. By popular demand. Hehe. So yeah. I nearly missed my deadline because of the crazy weather. (praying for the residents affected by Typhoon Ruby). Before you turn the page, please offer a prayer. Thanks so much!