Chapter 3

Nora told Gloria that the grooming would take thirty minutes to one hour, and she suggested that Gloria could take a step out to have some free time. But the woman refused to leave her pet’s side—whether it was because she was protective of her cat, named Sir Polka Dot, or because she wanted to observe Nora, Nora didn’t know.

However, it was awkward since Gloria stared at Nora the whole time with narrowed eyes as she gave Sir Polka Dot the grooming treatment. Even though the woman looked stern, maybe Nora was just coming to conclusions.

After all, someone who named her cat Sir Polka Dot—even though he had no polka dots on him whatsoever—should have some sense of humor, right?

From the small check-up, Nora could tell that Sir Polka Dot was healthy and treated well. Though he had a haughty, I-am-your-master-and-you-are-my-pet personality—as most cats did—he was well-behaved.

At one point, the cat took notice of Nora’s bulging pocket and pawed at it. She shouldn’t have held onto Declan’s ring after all. Maybe it was best to return it to him. Nora didn’t want it in the first place and she had no plans of accepting the proposal behind it.

“Dottie.” Gloria tsked at her cat and he quickly stopped pawing at Nora’s pocket. “I apologize for his behavior.”

“No, it’s fine.” Nora quickly said before she reached into her pocket and decided to put it away, since it distracted Sir Polka Dot and would most likely with her other patients.

However, a glint in Gloria’s eyes sparked when she saw the ring box.

“How nice.” She said. “From your boyfriend?”

Nora’s mouth flapped open and close a few times before she finally found her voice to answer.

“It’s…more complicated than that.” Nora nervously laughed as she rubbed the back of her neck.

Gloria’s impassive expression didn’t change, but she did ask, “Do you mind?”

Immediately, Nora shook her head and handed the box over to the woman. She opened the box and stared at the ring with the same glint in her eyes.

“How pretty.” She murmured, but it sounded as if her mind was on something else.

Just as Gloria was about to close it, Sir Polka Dot launched from where he stood on the counter. Gloria gasped and Nora stared with wide eyes as the box slipped from the elder woman’s fingers. The ring popped out of its holder and rolled on the tiled floor.

Sir Polka Dot was hot on its trail and continued pawing at it, as if he could grasp it. It rolled under a cabinet and the cat tucked his head underneath as well.

“Dottie!” Gloria scolded before she picked him up into her arms. “I’m so sorry. He has an affinity for shiny objects.”

“It’s fine.” Nora smiled reassuringly. “I’ll get it later. No worries.”

Gloria continued to apologize even when the grooming was done. Again, Nora told her it was fine. Besides, it wasn’t as if she had suddenly grown an attachment to the ring during the few minutes she had it in her pocket.

When the woman left, Veronica asked, “What was going on back there?”

Nora explained what happened, and her receptionist gasped.

“Oh, no. That’s not good.”

Again, Nora just dismissed her worry. What concerned her more was whether Gloria O’Good was somehow connected to her grandfather, James O’Good. Nora didn’t dare bring it up in conversation, and the woman didn’t say anything either.