(Chapter 10)

Slowly, I unlocked my Hotel Room door, and flicked on the lights.

I was the only one who got a single, deluxe suite, mainly because my Dad was funding a new section in the school library.

I stripped off my clothes, and turned the shower on, full heat, and let the hot water beat down on my skin. I would’ve had a bath, with the new bath bombs I’d bought with me, but I just didn’t have the energy to stay awake for that long. My muscles were tired, and I think I had a bruise from when Max pushed me over, into the fountain.

Why did he do that?

I turned off the water, and there for a second, my eyes closed. I kept replaying the moment in my mind. Max looking into my eyes, and the connection…the stupid connection.

I grabbed a towel, drying my hair, and pulling out my favourite big t-shirt I always slept in. I glanced at the mirror, and froze. I gazed at my reflection, for a second, and realized what was different. Max’s love bite was gone.

I should be happy, right?

Letting out a sigh, I tried to shut off my stupid confused thoughts, and collapsed on my bed. I thought, as tired as I was, I would fall asleep immediately. But it took me a long time to fall asleep.

Maybe because I had Max’s stupid face in my head. Maybe because I was feeling so guilty. Maybe because I was hating myself so much.

I can’t believe I’d rejected Carter.

***

Knock knock.

My eyes snapped open. Someone just knocked on my door. My heart slammed against my chest, and stayed there, thudding against my ribcage painfully. Who was it?

Knock knock.

I grabbed a lamp, and tiptoed to the door. What kind of sick freak would knock on a door at two o’clock in the morning? Some kind of…pervert?

“Who is it?” I called out.

Knock knock.

It was just like a horror movie. I would open the door, and there would be a guy with an axe…another reason I hated Kyle. The bastard who made me watch ‘the Ring’ and three of the ‘Saw’ movies with him.

I slowly slid the lock, and gently opened the door. It creaked as it opened, and I opened my mouth to let out a massive scream to alert the whole building that there was a scary man with an axe – oh. Just Max.

“What are you doing here?”

He glared at me. His shirt was so wet, it clung to his muscles perfectly. I couldn’t help admiring his perfectly chiselled arms. NO! Alexis, you have to stop this.

“I spent all my money on our dinner,” he hissed, leaning towards me semi-menacingly. Though the effect was kind of ruined by the fact that his teeth chattering. “So I didn’t have enough for a taxi. I hitch-hiked my way here, which was hard because I speak no Italian. I’m pretty sure the guy went the other way. I walked five hours here, without my coat, because I gave it to you. I now can’t get into my room, because I don’t have the key, I can’t remember what number I am, and the reception is closed. That’s what I’m doing here.”

“Sorry,” I said, quietly. I was sorry. “Do you want to, um, have a shower?”

“No. I want to sleep.”

Before I could stop him, he stripped off his shirt, and collapsed into my bed.

“Hey!” I protested. “You’re getting my bed wet! I have to sleep on that!”