Chapter one: Grace

"Hey, Birthday girl!" I smiled sitting in my seat beside Abby on the picnic bench. We'd decided to meet at the local park to study for our upcoming exams- which I desperately needed to study for... I was a procrastinator when it came to school. Abby most likely knew the material for not only this exam, but next semesters as well.

"Hey, Gracie!" She bounced excitedly. She had been counting down the days until her twenty-first Birthday since we were eight years old and tonight was her night. She wanted a mate, I couldn't care less about having a male by my side. I'd turned twenty-one seven months earlier. I was content with myself and the romance books were just enough to pass the spare time that I had in my life. I glanced over as she continued to highlight another paragraph. "Thank you for the Birthday acknowledgment... you could have also sent it on facebook..." She said a slight pout to her tone. I rolled my eyes and laughed out loud. She pouted and scanned the next few lines in her text book.

I couldn't help noticing that Abby was the beautiful, intelligent and romantic type. She had been blessed with golden blonde hair, cut just long enough to touch her shoulders styled in naturally accuring perfect curls- and as if that wasn't enough long tan legs for days that made just about every guy become mesmerized. We'd been best friends since pre-school. I can't remember a time when I didn't know her.

Unlike my own laid back attitude about life, Abby couldn't wait to be settled down in a quaint little house with a few children to keep her busy. She would be an amazing mother when the time finally came. She was much more worried about this happening later rather than sooner though. Her sister Lillian was now 28- quite old to have never been mated in our society- but I couldn't blame the males... Her sister was well, excuse the pun, quite a bitch.

Lillian and I had never gotten along so I was happy when she'd graduated and I no longer had to put up with her shallow, bossy personality as often. I still saw her frequently at pack meetings and of course nights out with our circle of friends.

"They scheduled the ritual for tonight." Abby announced quietly, glancing up at me from her long lashes. I already knew this. Dad had already told my mother and I.

Luckily, I was saved from replying when Lucas sat across from us and offered his own two cents. "Stupid law says I can't even battle for a chance to be Alpha."

Abby laughed hard and I even cracked a smile watching her try to compose herself.

"Why are you laughing?" Lucas glared. "I'd make a damn good alpha!"

Abby and I glanced at one another and both broke into hysterical laughter. Then he growled at us and my inner wolf turned her head. That was something my Alpha bloodline would not tolerate. My eyes narrowed and I stood- I've been told that even though I only stand at 5 feet 2 inches, I can be quite intimidating.

"That's why that 'Stupid law' is in place." I snarled, "You honestly think Shifters would follow a false alpha? You don't have the instinct for the job. Being an alpha isn't in your DNA." I focused on my breathing hoping to calm myself. My father's alpha blood ran through my veins and my wolf's genetics didn't take kindly to disrespect or threats- even from a male twice my size.

He glared, but didn't reply, which was smart on his part.

Abby spoke up, quickly intervening. "Come on Grace, we have a lot to do before the ceremony tonight."

We ended up at the mall. I stood outside the fitting room Abby was currently in- trying on her ninth dress. "Are you excited about tonight? There are going to be lots of eligible males there." I asked- more for her then for me.

"I am, but I keep thinking about you... Aren't you kinda nervous? I mean, I get to choose my mate, I get to fall in love and... what if you don't love him?" she whispered.