Chapter 1

The place looked perfect for what he needed. Nestled amongst a few scraggly fir trees, it had four solid walls, a deeply sloped roof, a three-sided lean-to for Dot, and a porch. It fit all his requirements. No smoke curled from the visible stove pipe chimney, and the place gave off a general air of abandonment.

Leaning his forearms on the pommel of his saddle, a twig between his teeth, Colton Lassiter narrowed his eyes on the shack. He could see between the slats of the siding, but that shortcoming could be fixed after he moved in. Nodding to himself, he remained where he was.

Bob seemed to have no similar qualms. Leaving the shrubs where he'd been sniffing, he bounded up to the porch and barked enthusiastically. Colton straightened in the saddle and growled without bite, "Damn you, Bob. Get over here." All he needed was someone hiding in there to start shooting. But the place remained silent.

With tongue lolling out of his mouth gaily, the mountain dog trotted back to his side with another woof. Colton looked down into his happy, doggy face and couldn't repress his smile.

"You approve, I take it?" He asked the dog. Bob woofed again. Making up his mind and clucking from the corner of his mouth, Colton sidled his mount up to the porch and swung to the ground. Tied off Dot and stepped up onto the uneven boards. Bob shoved against him in his eagerness to get to the front door first.

Reaching for the door latch with one hand and his gun hand on the handle of his Colt, Colton glanced down at the dog and kneed him aside. Whispered, "Get back, you behemoth." And then he shouldered the door open.

Scurrying sounds from the dark corners reminded Colton that he'd be sharing the space with some woodland creatures. Not that he hadn't done so before. Once again, Bob took point position and circumnavigated the nearly empty space.

It was one large room. An iron stove squat in one corner, cold and silent. A table with two chairs sat under the front window, and a wood-slat bed, minus its mattress, cowered in the back corner.

Colton's eyes skimmed the room, and he grunted his approval. No windows in the back, and only one entrance to the cabin. Easy to defend. Not so easy to escape. But beggars couldn't be choosers.

Bob had stopped by the table, nose sniffing loudly along its edge. When Colton turned to go back outside to unsaddle Dot, Bob dashed ahead of him again. He was too young and too energetic. One day he'd run ahead at the wrong time, Colton mused, leading his pinto toward the lean-to.

"You're going to have to make do with grass today, Dot ole girl," he told his mount as he removed her saddle but unfolded the blanket over her back. Glancing around again, he decided he might have to enclose the shelter for her. Otherwise, she'd be bait for a bear or wolves. He sighed. More work. He grabbed a bucket from the corner of the space and went to the outside pump. Hoped it hadn't rusted. But a few jerks of his arm had water coming out in spurts. Enough to keep Dot happy.

Now that his horse had been seen to, Colton took his saddlebags and bedroll into the shack. Shut the door with a sigh. No snow yet, but it was still cold as hell. He'd found shelter in the nick of time.

Glancing at Bob, who had followed him inside, he moved to the stove to get some heat in the place. There was a pile of kindling next to it, and he set to work on lighting it. Smoke belched from the front of the stove initially, and Bob whined at the door to escape, but soon it dissipated and the room started to thaw.

"Now, why don't we take care of our bellies, eh, boy?" Colton suggested to the dog, who had circled the room and now thrown himself in front of the stove. He wagged his stump of a tail at Colton, tongue lolling out as he made himself comfortable in the warmest spot. Once again Colton grunted in wry amusement.