Chapter 8- Meeting The Guys part 2

I don’t know how long I sat on the edge of the enormous bed, the garment bag still placed in my lap as the tears that have been streaming down my face continued to dampen the fabric, but it must have been quite awhile for suddenly there was a knock on the closed door before I heard the click of the lock turning and the door being pushing open.

I didn’t bother to turn around, for I somehow knew it wasn’t Cole. I didn’t feel that intense sensation of being uncomfortable and extremely nervous. My heart didn’t rattle furiously in my chest and my palms didn’t dampen. Most importantly when the unknown person’s voice rang out through the silence of the large bedroom, my body didn’t involuntarily shiver or shudder. 

Instead, I was only slight nervous seeing as I didn’t know the unknown person who, by the sound of their voice, was obviously an older woman, “The Sullivan’s request your presence now,” the older woman said softly, her announcement pulling me out of my heavy sobs to look around towards her.

She was dressed in a black and white maids uniform, complete with an apron. She was a tall woman and even though her age looked to be close to sixty, her features were still flawless. She stood with an emotionless expression, her shoulders back and her chin up; her hands were clasped together in front of her as she stood there waiting for me to get up. 

Quickly I wiped my cheeks and chin and slowly got up from the bed to face her. I looked down at the still unopened bag in my hands that held the dress I was supposed to have already been wearing before glancing up at the awaiting maid once more, “Sorry, I’m not ready yet... could I have a few more minutes? I promise I’ll try to be quick, I-I just need-” I went to ramble on only to stop when the tiniest of smiles slipped onto the woman’s lips.

Surprised at the random expression I looked towards her questionably, “You take all the time you need my dear. The Sullivan’s will wait for your arrival... No matter how impatient they may get,” the maid said with a kind tone as she gave a short nod before walking back over to the door. 

Not knowing what to say to her statement, I just stood there and watched her begin to pull the bedroom door close. She stopped suddenly, just before the door was pulled all the way shut and gave me another small smile, “I will tell the Sullivan’s that you’ll be a few minutes longer, just step out into the hall when your ready and I’ll escort you to the dining room.”

With that she finally closed the door behind her and I was once again left alone in the big bedroom. I stood in my place for a moment longer as my mind curiously thought about what the kind maid had said before leaving the room. Her statement about the Sullivan’s waiting on me no matter how impatient they might get, was something I was finding hard to believe. Even though I’ve only known Cole for a day, he didn’t seem like the type to stand for being left waiting for someone and I didn’t have a doubt that his brothers were probably just like him.

Knowing I didn’t really have a choice in the matter, I gave a deep sad sigh as I dragged my feet over to the bathroom door; my head hung low in defeat. I knew I couldn’t put off the inevitable anymore, if I didn’t come down soon, I was certain Cole wouldn’t hesitate to come and retrieve me.