Chapter Forty: Flaws & Scars

Honestly, I was damn glad that I still had the ability to shut myself off from the rest of the world by focusing on one thing. Luckily, that one thing wasn't Joshua.

I worked my ass off in the future weeks, after my confrontation with him. I needed to give myself time to untangle myself from my feelings, and I used most of my effort towards my line. I worked night and day with Johnny and during that time I found myself growing closer to the dumbass. Sure, we still fought and bickered, but it revolved around patterns and stitching most days.

It wasn't hard to joke around with Johnny. He wasn't such an asshole, unless when he was really trying. I didn't see much of Martin during those months. After the whole Minerva fiasco, I didn't really want to see either of them.

I did in fact end up telling my brother about seeing Minerva, but not about her spit swapping. I decided to leave that little bit to myself. Thankfully, my brother seemed to be moving on. Not without my help, of course.

It was a week after I had gotten back from Brazil. I remembered leaning over a few sketches that were placed on the kitchen table and hearing the door slam. I knew it was Andrew the minute I heard his abnormal amount of noise making. No burglar could make such a ruckus.

I recalled looking up from my work and seeing my brother with his tie that didn't match and pants that seriously needed some washing and ironing. Sure, I was his sister and all, but my brother rarely let me do any work for him. I was a lazy ass and so I didn't contest it.

I realized at that moment that my brother seriously needed someone to take care of him. I hadn't told him yet, but I was already saving money to move out after fashion week.

I could tell he was lonely, mostly when I would see him in the afternoon having a beer while he watched the game. I'm sure he used to enjoy that time for himself, but most of the time he looked sad and depressed, even when he tried to hide it. He wasn't excited or even mildly interested in the game in front of him, even though my brother had been the freaking quarterback in high school. I knew for a fact he loved watching his sports.

My brother was having love withdrawals. As much as the selfish side of me felt better about not being the only one with their heartbroken, even I recognized that it wasn't fair.

So, the following week I practically tied my bother up the minute he got home from work. I didn't let him take off his coat before I was pushing him up the stairs.

"Lilly, what the hell are you doing?" My brother wondered, letting me push him up the steps. My palms were doing all of the work, pushing him up every step.

"You have a date tonight." I told him cheerfully. That's when my brother stopped dead on his tracks. None of my pushing did any good.

"I have a date? With who?" My brother sounded genuinely puzzled.

I smiled to myself, not wanting to reveal the mystery girl's name just yet. Sure it would be damn weird to know later on that the same girl I was setting up with my brother had been with Joshua, but I tried not to think about it.