Part 11

Yeah. It's not working. After more than enough of the gyrating bodies and pounding music I've decided that I'm just not in the mood tonight.

I shove away the drunk guy who has been trying to dance with me for the millionth time and tell Fi and Vicky I'm gonna head off to get a drink. Alfie was right, this house was hugeI manage to find my way to the kitchen by using my amazing sense of direction (which is absolutely shitty) and after stumbling over random bottles and people along the way. 

I head over to the fridge and pull it open, trying to find something that has no alcohol in it. I find a can of coke and pop it open, gulping down the sugary goodness. As I shut the fridge door I spy a door in the corner leading to the garden and head over to it. I try the handle and smile as it opens. I needed some fresh air. 

I shiver as I feel the cold air envelope me, seeping through the lace detail on my back and raising goosebumps. I hunch up my shoulders and lean against the wall, sipping on my coke, and look around the garden. It's pretty big, which is a given, and I can make out some paving and rosebushes in the darkness. What surprises me is that it's empty. I guess people just found it too cold. 

I stand there till my toes start to feel numb and I've finished my drink when two guys burst through the door. They obviously don't see me in the shadows. One guy pins the other by his throat against the wall and I step back unsure of what to do. I can hear what they're saying, regardless of the loud music.

"We said pay us back by midday Sammy. Do you wanna tell me what time it is now?" Guy one says into Sammy's face. Sammy tries to speak so the guy loosens his grip.

"I swear Lucas, I thought you said midnight-" SLAM. The hand goes back around his throat forcing Sammy's head againts the wall. I wince as I hear a thud and try not to make any noise. What the hell am I supposed to do? Do I just stand here? Do I say something?

"Don't fuck with me Sammy. I don't wanna hurt you. You and I go way back don't make me do this man."     

"You usually give two weeks Luke, now you're giving one? What's the big deal?" Lucas drops his hand down and runs it through his dark shoulder-length hair, his leather jacket scrunching with the movement. There's something familiar about his face but I just can't place it. Have I seen this guy before? Even though he's a head shorter than Sammy there's something in his face that makes him way more intimidating. 

"You heard the news about a new guy in town?" He asks, tensing up. Sammy fidgets. I look around and step quietly behind the trunk of tree, still watching what's going on.

"W-what new guy?" Come on I can lie better than that. Lucas thrusts his hands into his jacket pockets and stares at Sammy, who relaxes slightly. Lucas shrugs.

"He calls himself the 'Ripper'." He scoffs, and I'm surprised to see he believes the lie. "Fucking psycho." He adds. 

"How long has he been around?" Sammy asks, folding his arms.

"You see," Lucas says picking at a thread on his jumper, "It's funny you should ask that, cos I heard, you know, through the grapevine," Sammy laughs. It sounds forced. "That you're working for him." Lucas focuses his stare on Sammy who for a few seconds is clearly too shocked to say anything. 

"That's bullshit Luke. You know I'm with you guys, the guy is an amateur he doesn't know shit." 

"And how would you know that Sammy? Personal experience?" I can see Sammy blanch slightly and I feel scared for him.

"No man, I mean what kind of an idiot would go against the Boss?" 

"You, maybe?" 

"I swear Luke. I don't know what you're talking about, why would I work for someone who calls himself the Ripper?"