Chapter Two : I'm Her Evil Russian Twin Svetlana

"So honey I hear that Cole's back." My father says as we sit around the dining table for dinner.

Oh he isn't back yet if he was then I would not be sitting here in once piece I think as I angrily stab a pea.

"He is? I didn't know." I reply and my mother snorts in disbelief and chuckles, "You two always were so adorable together. That boy could just never leave you alone." She reminisces fondly as I struggle to contemplate which part of the misery I had been put through looked 'adorable' to my mother.

"I wish he did." I grumble

"Now Tess we can't have you on bad terms with the Sheriff's son can we? Its election year and we need all the help we can get." My dad says and I give him my best 'are you kidding me' look. If he wants me  to smooch off to Cole just to make him win an election he could say goodbye to the office of the Mayor.

"Especially since your father was such a disappointment this term." My mom says sweetly but making sure that her words sting as much as they can. I could sense the beginnings of a fight so I finished my dinner in record time all thoughts of Cole forgotten and rush upstairs before someone started throwing cutlery around.

"Travis get up!" I shout outside my brother's door knocking on it loudly three times and stopping when he utters his usual greeting, the f word.

Now it might seem strange to you that my brother wakes up around dinner time but we've all gotten used to his nocturnal nature. My parents understand that they've lost their prodigal son and I've realized that the best way to deal with new Travis is to keep a safe distance.

See Travis is now twenty-one and still living at home because he got kicked out of his college for plagiarizing a paper. Then the love of his life dumped him and he resorted to alcohol in order to and I quote. "Deal with this shit." Ever since last year he's almost always been chronically hung over and as much as my father wants he cant do anything about it. He's the Mayor and he cannot be airing his dirty laundry out in public. When someone asks about him we simply either ignore them or say something along the lines of how he's working on his other 'ambitions' such as writing the next great American novel.

In the midst of this dysfunctional family we have me ex-Fatty Tessie on the verge of what some might claim to be a nuclear attack others might refer to it as Cole Stone's return.

I plop down on my bed and take out the material needed for my homework. I have an essay due tomorrow which I've written already actually I wrote the ten page monster the day it was assigned. When being a nerd is the only option you've got left a social life is pretty much non-existent. Nicole has made sure that I'm shunned from any sort activity that might involve me having fun. Why she has to go to such major extents I have no idea.

I'm proofreading the essay and adding foot notes when my dad enters my room. His face is flushed and it's because of all the screaming that was just going on downstairs.

"Are you free Tess?" He asks expectantly

"Well not exactly I have this assignment..."

It's like he hasn't even heard what I just said and thrusts a folder into my hands, "Good I need you to take these to the Sheriff right now. I would've done it myself but I'm going to head out and he needs these right away."

"But Dad..."

He wants me to go the Stone's? Is he out of his mind? Does he want me dead; am I that big of a disappointment to him that he's readily sending me to my doom itself? I can't go to the Sherriff's house because that Sherriff fathered Cole and if Cole's back...