:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 28

Cold, soft, miniscule snowflakes fell into my out stretched palm as I sat on the bench right outside of the bar. Arden was supposed to be on break now ten minutes ago. A freezing gust of air sent my hair flying everywhere, one strand somehow ending in my mouth. I pushed it away, crossing my arms over my chest as another bust of air sent shivers through me.

For a moment I debated on just going back in there and dragging Arden out myself, but I couldn't do that. Arden was really angry with me. I didn't want to make him more upset. A cloud of moisture formed when I let out a sigh, pulling my knees up to my chest. I stared bleakly at the streetlight, watching the flurries of snow fall through the light, resembling the bugs that swarmed it during the summer.

My phone buzzed on the bench next to me and I snatched it up quickly, hoping it was Arden. Disappointment washed through me when the sender was from my phone company, probably trying to bribe me into buying one of their new deals. I snapped my phone shut again, tossing it on the bench. The least Arden could do was reply to my texts... But I could understand why he didn't.

My head fell onto my knees as new tears sprung to my eyes. Why hadn't I just told him the truth from the beginning? My uncle would have never known. Arden wouldn't tell anyone. I could have avoided all this. And if not from the beginning, I should have told him when I promised not to lie to him.

The sudden sound of crunching snow made me snap my head up. For a moment all I could see was darkness. I held my breath, looking around more carefully. Finally my eyes landed on a figure coming around from the back of the bar. My heartbeat sped up as I watched the silhouette come closer. Was it Arden...?

"Harley!"

My eyes grew round. I recognized that voice and it definitely wasn't Arden— unless Arden had taught himself how to do a believable English accent in the past half hour. As Oliver grew closer, I could make him out more. His cheeks were rosy from the cold and there were snowflakes in his hair, making it look like he had really bad dandruff.

I blinked rapidly, trying to dry my eyes. "What are you doing here?" I inquired as he grew closer.

He gave me an irritated expression. "My dad told me you ran away."

"Ran away?"

"Yeah."

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Why would he say that?"

"He said that your car was here and that you were nowhere to be seen," Oliver informed me, plopping down on the bench next to me. "He told me you had a fight with Arden and that you left seeming pretty upset."

My face flushed in embarrassment and I ducked my head. "What else did he say?"

"Nothing much."

"Oh..."

Oliver glanced at me, frowning. "What were you guys arguing about?"

"Anthony spilled the beans about my age."

"So?"

"So what?"

"Why were you two fighting about that?"

I pursed my lips at Oliver, giving him a dispirited look. "Arden trusted me, Oliver. I lied to him."

"I repeat, so? It's not a big deal."

"You don't understand," I told him with a sigh.

"Then explain to me," he responded in a duh voice.

I readjusted my knees, dropping my chin onto them again. For a few moments I stayed silent, focusing on the snow dusting the ground. "Arden repeated many times how much he trusted me. We promised not to lie to each other. I knew I was lying to him at that time. I should have told him then and there! But I decided not to because my uncle told me I couldn't tell anyone else."