Aquaria's Beginnings-Prologue

• Dedicated to John-My husband

Prologue

Little Shaundra Pendleton sat across from her mommy and daddy in the long shiny black car that Mr. Roderick drove. Mr. Roderick called it a limo and it had six windows.  Shaun, that’s what mommy called her, really liked it. She looked back and forth between her mommy and daddy they were whispering to each other, she hated it when they kept secrets. 

“Whatcha talking ‘bout? Huh?”

Her daddy looked at her sternly.

“This is grown-up time Shaundra, now sit there and be quiet.”

Shaun pouted and looked out the window as they turned onto a long dirt road lined with big trees.  They had told her she was going on vacation, and she was really excited. The two hour trip had been torture for the five year-old.

“Are we there yet?” Shaun whined.

Her dad nodded and pointed out the opposite window.

“We’re there yet.”

Shaun looked out the window at the ominous brick building. It had to be the most sprawling structure she had ever seen.  That was saying something because she had lived with mommy and daddy all of her life and her house was pretty big.

The limo pulled to a stop. She heard Roderick’s door open and the crunch of his feet on the gravel as he walked to the back passenger door.  He opened the door and helped mommy out then daddy climbed out turning to pull Shaun into his arms.

He tucked her blanket between them and headed up the concrete steps.  Shaun gripped her doll tightly as she looked up at the massive structure.

The morning was misty and cold so she pulled her blanket close and snuggled close to her daddy.  When they reached the top of the steps Shaun couldn’t help but notice the gated front door. An ugly metal gate was in front of her, hiding what would have been a handsome hardwood door.  Daddy reached toward the bell.

“Daddy Wait!” he stared at her looking almost guilty.

“I want to push the button!” she demanded.

 He gave a tiny smile and leaned forward so she could push the small glowing circle.  She giggled softly as the tone reverberated behind the closed door.

“Pretty.” Daddy gave her another tight smile.

After a few moments the large doors opened onto a chess board hallway.  A sharply dressed, rail thin woman unlocked the gate.

“Ah, Mr. and Mrs. Pendleton, I presume.” She smiled at two adults.  “This must be Shaundra.” Her smile was not quite as friendly as she looked at the little girl.

“Nope, I’m Shaun.” The small girl piped up, an indignant tone in her voice.

The older woman did not smile, but simply looked at the outspoken child taking in her pale features.  The little ones hair looked as soft as newly spun silk, and just as white.  No doubt it would darken with age.  Her eyes were a pale grey, with a hint of…violet, impossible.  Her eyes were beautiful but she was not sure she would call this child a beauty. Her nose was rather flat with an upturned end, cheeks a little to full like that of an overweight cherub, yet well suited to her body.  She turned her attention back to the little girls parents and guided the couple and their daughter down the hallway.

Shaun felt bad for the lady, as she had looked into her eyes she saw that she was so sad.  She reached out and patted the lady’s bony shoulder, closing her eyes for a moment her eyes filled up with tears as she opened them to stare at the somber woman.