Part Eight

I should have added this on the last part, but I forgot it. So I'm adding it on as a very short part. Don't forget to vote and comment!

They parted and Rodger sighed in bliss. He didn't deserve this. Dawn whimpered. Rodger's head sharply turned to see her face, slightly disfigured in pain. Oh no! Was he holding her too tightly?

"What's wrong?" he asked intensely, trying to figure out the origin of her pain so he could fix it.

"It's...it's nothing." She said gritting her teeth.

"It's not nothing." Rodger replied seriously. "Tell me what's wrong."

"It hurts." Dawn reluctantly told him.

"What does?" he looked at her, unable to see what was wrong, and becoming incredibly frustrated that he couldn't relieve that pained expression she was wearing.

"I think I need to sit down." Her face twisted in sharp suffering.

Rodger, eyes wide with fear, led her to a bench so she could rest. She lifted her feet to lie on the flat surface, and Rodger took a seat next to her head.

"What's wrong?" he asked again. Why was she in so much pain?

"It's nothing." Dawn repeated, her eyes screwed up in agony, rolling to her side.

Rodger sighed, and rubbed her shoulders. He wished so badly he could do more for her than this. "Where does it hurt?" he asked her, hoping for at least one straight answer.

Dawn shook her head. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

"For what?"

Dawn shook her head again.

"There's something you're not telling me, isn't there?"

She looked up at him. "What do you mean?"

"It seems like you're hiding something from me."

Dawn sighed. "Please. I...ow." She wrapped her arms around her stomach.

"Is there anything I can get for you?"

Dawn shook her head.

"Does this happen often? Do you know what's causing it?"

"It'll start happening more often." Dawn told him, staring him right in the face, dead serious. "This is why I need to die."

Rodger opened his mouth to reply, but no thoughts came to his mind. What could he say? "Oh, Dawn." He whispered. His precious Dawn.

She smiled tenderly, despite her apparent misery. "That feels nice." She told him, referring to the way he was rubbing her shoulders.

He wanted to know what was happening to her. He could help her, if only he knew what was wrong! But he also knew that no matter how many times he would ask, she wouldn't answer. He kissed her cheek, and stroked the line of her jaw, cupping her face gently in his hands. They sat there for an hour or so in silence before Rodger spoke. "It'll be alright." He assured her, though he knew that wasn't the case. "Do you feel better?"

Dawn nodded, and sat up. "I do, actually."

They both knew this was a blatant lie, but Rodger made himself believe that she was really okay. That her pain was gone, and would be forever.

Rodger wrapped his arms around her, and together they watched the way the flakes of snow drifted to the ground. He wanted it to stay the way he was with her now. He didn't want this to end. Rodger looked at her, and saw the way her graceful neck curved, feeling the compulsion to sip her blood from that tender neck.

But if he killed her, she couldn't be here with him like this. It would end. Was it really worth it?

"No." he whispered to himself. It wasn't worth it. He wanted her alive-he wanted to stay with her forever! The very thought of her not existing anymore tore him apart. He placed his chin on her shoulder. He loved her. He really and truly did love her.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked him curiously.

"I was thinking how nice and warm you are." He answered.

She smiled at him, her cherry lips pulsing teasingly. Rodger pecked them, unable to resist.

"You really are something." She muttered.

Rodger chuckled. "You, my darling, are the rose, not I. I, why I am the thorns." Anything he touched seemed to bleed, even her tender red petals. He couldn't understand why she let him hold her like this, why she didn't cringe away from him. All the others did. But she was different. She needed him, and his thorns, because she wanted her delectable beauty ripped apart. But could he resist? Could he hold her, like this, forever, without tearing into her flesh?

Rodger sighed. It was a delicate balance. A balance that couldn't last forever.