Chapter 10

Nothing make any sense. 

'Dev..deveraux.. is that really you?' I stumbled with my own words. My thoughts were incoherent, my mind was in complete bafllement. The bible talked about Christ's resurrection, but miracle does not just happen, it always come with a price. 

I must be hallucinating, it was just not possible! 

'Your Highness' Chirsty immediately bowed at the sight of Deveraux and her cries had since stopped. Julien's posture turned rigid but an almost brotherly smile was plastered onto his face. 'Deveraux' he addressed him formally. 'Your Highness, I've heard about the news that you were-'

Deveraux raised a hand and cut off Christy mid-sentence. 'My apology for the rude interruption, but this is not a good time to discuss about my mishaps.' Christy nodded obediently. Whoever Deveraux was, and whatever he is, it is evident that he is a man of power and authority. 'Do you mind excusing us?' The couple hastily retreated from the room without another word. 

Although I was listening into their brief exchange, my mind still refused to believe what my eyes were seeing, yet it was undeniable that I felt the same ferocity of his protective aura surrounding me. In that instant moment, I felt relieved. 

'You are alive.' I stated the obvious. 'How?' My eyes were focused intently onto the floor, tracing the lines on every floor tile. 

He inhaled a deep breath. 'There are many things that you need to learn Misty, in time perhaps.' 

'How?' I insisted. 

He sighed. 'I can't explain my sudden resurrection without you having to assume badly about me, the only explanation I will give and the only one you have to accept is, I am alive, and that is the end of it.' His tone was final, as if he would not tolerate any disobedience. I remained silent and nodded. 

'I'm glad you are alive Deveraux. I really am.' I held back my tears as I replayed the horrendous scene of Deveraux's death in my mind. 'But Auric-' I choked, unable to contain anymore of despair. 

Deveraux snickered. 'You mean that weak human of yours?' All sort of formality was gone and was instantly replaced by the Deveraux I first met, a jerk. I stared daggers at him, offended by his insult. Deveraux laughed even harder. 'I found his body near where we found you.' My eyes started to tear up, I'm not ready for this, to listen about Auric's death. Deveraux edged closer and squat down in front of me so that his eyes were leveled with mine, this was when I really saw him for the first time. Apart from the viscious scar running down his face, his eyes were filled with compassion. 

'I didn't know how much he meant to you. I'm sorry.' he said. I shook my head as tears began pouring down my delicate face. Between sobs I uttered, 'He..died because of me. It should have been me.' Deveraux placed an awkward hand on my shoulder to provide some sort of comfort. 'Misty, I mean it when I said there are many things for you to learn, about yourself, about us, about-' he paused and I detected a sense of grief in his next words, 'your mother'. 

'My..mother? I never knew her.' I stated it without any hint of emotions, my childhood memories were filled with my days spent in the Orphanage, that is the only life I've ever known. He smiled weakly. 'Never mind about that, as I said, you will learn in time.'.