Not-So-Happy Birthday

Taylor's POV

Hey, Taylor, Michael mind-linked me, his peppy voice annoying the crap out of me and waking me up from my slumber. Happy eighteenth birthday! I involuntarily grinned. Ever since he had found out Jason really was his mate a couple of days ago, he had been on top of the world. He immediately accepted him and began spoiling him like crazy, doing his best to make up for his initial rejection and mistrust.

Jason being Jason accepted and demanded more. Michael took him on four dates already and bought him everything the crazy redhead wanted; only then did Jason warm up to him enough to forgive him. Michael was thrilled, and I was beyond happy for my adopted brother, albeit a bit worried if he could handle everything Jason threw at him.

Yeah! Jason chipped in. You're finally legal!

Jason! Michael gasped, scolding him.

Jason nervously chuckled. J-Just kidding, babe.

I sighed. Thanks, you two.

Well, you better gimme some damn cake then, Jason snorted.

I laughed at him. Of course, Your Highness.

Jason sniffed. Damn straight.

Taylor? My wolf's voice interrupted my birthday/morning greetings. I told them I'd be down in a minute and said my good-byes, shutting them out. Grayson.

At his name, I sighed and buried my face into my pillow, hugging it with all my might. I hadn't spoken to Grayson since the arranged wedding three days ago. He had been swept away on urgent business. I didn't understand why I couldn't come. I am Alpha and Luna. But he left without saying a word. Since his departure, my wolf had grown restless for some reason and her depression was starting to rub off on me.

So? I finally answered, getting up. I threw on my sweatshirt and walked downstairs, searching for food.

Where is he? She whimpered. I froze. She, my wolf, whimpered.

I held my head high. Why should we care? He may be our...husband, but it was forced.

Never mind. My wolf drew back into her shell, letting a sad whimper out every now and then. It pained me to feel her like this, but what could I do? I didn't understand why she was acting this way.

When I entered the kitchen, Jason, Michael, and Archer leaped in front of me holding a huge, chocolate cake.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TAYLOR!" They shouted. Surprised, I stared at them and the delicious dessert before a slow smile spread across my face.

"Are you gonna cry?" Archer blurted, his green eyes twinkling with mischief. I laughed and scooped him up, placing a chaste kiss on his forehead.

"I just might," I admitted.

"Well, do it after you cut the cake. Jason says only you can cut it since you were born today." I chuckled and ruffled his short, maroon hair.

"Okay," I complied. "Go wait with it at the table, I need to talk with the big kids right now, okay?"

Archer frowned and pouted. He crossed his little arms and I put him down. As he left to the kitchen, I heard him mutter, "I am a big kid."

"What'd you need, Tay Tay?" Jason asked, an amused glint in his eyes as he watched his little brother leave with the towering cake in his hands.

"Where's Grayson?" I got straight to the point. A sad expression covered all their faces before they shrugged. Frustrated, I snapped. "What the hell does that mean?" I turned on Jason. "You're his Beta--you should know!" Jason didn't reply, he just looked away.