Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Carin stood with Dr. Edwardson outside an examination room.  Her mother's doctor kept his voice quiet so Kevin wouldn't hear from inside.  The doctor wore thick bifocals and had wispy fine white hair.  His breath smelled like ancient dinner mints.

"Your son is fine.  Physically, there's nothing wrong.  Obviously, he's still suffering mental trauma over the loss of his father."

"What can we do?  We can't go on like this.  He sees something, I don't know what, but he sees something in everything he looks at.  Something awful."

"I've seen this before.  Happens every time soldiers come home.  Post traumatic stress.  Unfortunately, I'm not the doctor to help deal with something like this."

"So I need to consult a psychologist?"

"A therapist yes.  I know a good man, a psychiatrist.  Dr. Bennett.  He even specializes in dream therapy.  While I don't know Dr. Bennett's philosophy or practices, I've heard nothing but raves from his patients.  From my experience, there's no better doctor for dealing with nightmares."

"When can we see him?"

"It normally takes a couple weeks for an initial consult," Dr. Edwardson said.  When he saw the color drain from Carin's face, he added, "Let me make a phone call.  Let me see if I can pull any weight and get Kevin in right away."

Carin focused on the road and the bombardment of midday traffic.  The fatigue from a sleepless night was starting to catch up to her and her reaction time felt a second too slow.  Kevin's eyes were closed and he hadn't said much of anything since they left Dr. Edwardson's office.  They had an immediate appointment with Dr. Bennett, for which she thanked Dr. Edwardson profusely.  Now, if only she could find the right address.  She wasn't familiar with the neighborhood, but she had a feeling they were getting close.

Since waking this morning, Kevin appeared perpetually nauseated, while his skin seemed pale even after spending time in the summer sun with Reid and the other neighborhood kids. 

At a red light, Carin looked at the scrap of paper with the directions to the doctor's office.  It wasn't technically an office building, according to Dr. Edwardson.  He'd said that Dr. Bennett was also working at a museum, and at least during the initial evaluation, Kevin would have to see him there.  She didn't care if they had to meet with him in a junkyard, as long this Dr. Bennett was able to help. 

The car behind her slammed on its horn when she didn't immediately react to the green light.  "Hold on, I'm moving," Carin said as she accelerated.  "What a jerk."  A powder blue Fiat swerved around her, cutting her off before she finished crossing the intersection.  The sour-looking fat man crammed into the car's tiny driving compartment gave her the finger.

She wanted to scream at the guy, but she took a deep breath and tried to decompress.  Kevin seemed unaware of the exchange and was now looking out the window at the passing buildings, mumbling to himself, and for the first time this morning, seeming somewhat relaxed.

She heard partial words, but one stuck out in particular.

"What did you say?"

Kevin looked at her, winced at what he saw in his mother's face, but continued mumbling.

"Kevin, speak up, I can't understand you."

"Lu-cid-ity."

"Where did you hear that word?  Why did you say that?"