28th♀

28th

In a normal day, inside the house where I had been staying at for years, my brother watching the TV a little way from where I was sitting, and the lingering possibility that my dad could be spared from being cut off from his job, I was having such a blissful time. Yes, this was the perfect recipe for what I called as the ideal day. The knots were being untied, one string pulled after another. I could almost see a probable, improvised fairytale end.

I actually thought that my life was over twenty-four hours ago, after all the craziness that had happened. But I did manage to get along. At the end of the day, I came out whole, and got several additions to the already good list that I had. And to make it more wonderful, there was one thing that I did yesterday that I was so proud about.

Although let me cross out the kiss, just in case I would consider in making it one of the choices again. I mean, the kiss was beautiful. It was magical, though, short-lived. That kind that could have had been better, but at the same time, I wouldn't have it any other way, either. But aside from that, something even better had happened at the end of the day—I was unshackled.

"So the guys want to see you," Finn said all of a sudden.

For a moment, I entirely forgot. I was already at the point of seeing my life in that happy ending scenario, taking a detour and skipping some parts. I turned my gaze away from the magazine that I was reading and looked at him. "The guys..."

"From Corner Stone," he finished, confirming my speculation.

Jayden, Daniel babe, and Co., right?

"Oh." Well, after everything that had happened, this should be expected. I had some serious explaining to do, and it was making me nervous.

"They kind of want to know how you look like..." Finn studied me for a moment. "...as a girl."

"They do?" I looked at myself. And hearing those words from Finn, I suddenly felt goosebumps crept all over my arms. It was no big secret that I knew how they were, the boys, that is. How they acted around girls. The way the school system of Corner Stone deprived them of our presence, and the consequence of that deprivation. Now that I was finally known to belong in the she category, I was starting to feel wary about it, too.

What if they'd pound on me like savage dogs out in the open?

Shut up, head. They were not like that. Most of the time, they were civilized. But still, knowing how much they were holding themselves back all the time, it was making me freak out. Perhaps I should consider dressing up as a boy when I'd see them.

Just to be on the safe side.

I was certain they'd hold back their wildest thoughts if I was wearing an oversized sweatshirt and loose jeans and no hair extensions.

"And Austin said he's interested in you. I thought you should know as early as now. So unless you promise me that you will never date him, I'm not going to let them see you." Finn flipped the channel on the TV.

"Why not?" I merely curious and only wanted to ask. I had like zero interest for guys like Austin. Maybe I'd even introduce him to Paige. I had a good hunch that they'd click.

"He changes girlfriends as often as the moon changes phase," Finn answered me straight away.

That was believable. I just didn't know it was that often. "Oh, okay. Sure, promise."

And please, Austin would be the last guy I'd care about right now. As the hair extensions were still stuck in my head, their side effects got worse. Worse than ever. Now I had no idea how to not think about KN all the time.