{Prologue}

Prologue

I feel my eyes peel open slowly, like a band aid off a healed wound. My pupils hesitate to adjust to the blinding white light.  Where the heck am I?  The corners of my eyes feel crusted over and my cheeks puffy; my head feels like it weighs a thousand pounds.  I look up towards the white-tiled ceiling, trying to accurately place myself.  Fatigue drags my body down, practically stapling me to the uncomfortable mattress.  Pain feels as though it’s coursing through my arms, while my legs feel, or don't feel rather, since they're completely numb.  My chest rises and falls rhythmically as I inhale and exhale the thick latex-scented air.  I hear a piercing ring in my ears, beating steady as a drum. The irritating noise refuses to cease it’s beeping and I realize that it sounds more like a heart monitor, beeping at the same un-faltering rate.  Wait a second...  

I’m in a hospital room.  Now that I’ve realized it, I take notice of the prickling sensation caused by the intravenous needle taped into my arm.  Fighting the intense pain spiking through my neck, I lift my head at the slightest angle to see my leg in an elevated cast, a sling holding up it’s weight.  A dusty-brown haired boy sits slouching on the chair in the corner of the room, staring back at me with wide eyes.

What in the world happened? I wonder just before the drowsiness from the sedatives that pump through my veins finally kicks in again and my head falls limp onto the pillow.