Chapter Ten: Christmas Eve

THE LAST CHAPTER IS NHY!

So, I'm sorry for the wait but I, like, wrote this chapter fifteen million times over! GOSH! I HOPE YOU GUYS CAN FORGIVE MEEE ...

So this chapter goes to all of my fans because they've been amazing and I love them all! :))))

This chapter's song is David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing at Christmas together. They're both favourites of mine so that song is like heaven to me!!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOVE U GUYS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

__________________________________________________

Chapter Ten: Christmas Eve

“Yes! I win.”

Slamming his last pawn into ‘home’, Steve fist punched the air and let out a whoop as he won our game of Frustration. Stacey groaned and let her head fall on the table.

Both Steve and Stacey were very competitive people. I’d learned that right at the start of the game when they started getting carried away and placing bets on who might win. Being part of a huge family, it was also in my nature to be competitive but at that moment, nothing seemed to matter.

“I told you I would win!” Steve yelled at Stacey.

Stacey rolled her eyes. “I would ask for a rematch but I really have to go.”

I frowned at her. Tonight is the night Steve is supposed to turn into a cat. For good. We had planned to stay here until it happened, the three of us. Or so I thought. When I looked at over at Steve, I guessed that I had a pretty similar expression on my face as him. His brow was furrowed questioningly and his lower lip was sticking out like a pout.

She bit her lip, “I’m sorry. I know I was going to stay for you and everything but my mom won’t let me. She says that she needs help with Christmas dinner plans. I’m sorry guys.”

To be honest, even if I was a little miffed that she hadn’t told us earlier, I still understood. If I were at home right now, I’d be helping lick clean the appliances used to make my mother’s famous volcano chocolate cake. Besides After we tell her that we’re okay with her leaving early, Stacey gathers up her possessions, gives us both a quick kiss on the cheek and leaves for her mother’s house.

I checked the clock. We still had a couple of hours until Steve was supposed to change. Melinda told us when the clock strikes midnight. Why is it always Midnight? So we sat and watched a few movies. You know the kind. The old ones with singers like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. I think I fell asleep a few times but always managed to wake myself up at the good parts. We then shoved some noodles in the microwave for ‘dinner’.

Spending time with Steve got me thinking what it would be like if Steve got to stay. I mean, we could have been able to do this every night. It was fun. It felt natural. It felt almost as natural as it would have been at home with my family. Then I remembered that that was never going to happen because Steve was changing back tonight and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Unless we found his true love and evidently that wasn’t going to happen: where were we going to find her?

It was just after we finished some old Friends Christmas Edition finished that I realised how much time had passed. It was ten minutes till midnight.

Suddenly, panic filled my body. Oh my god, I thought, it’s really going to happen. I think that up until then, I kept thinking that maybe, just maybe, there would be something that we could do to stop it from happening. But there wasn’t. Right?