An Agonising Wait

An Agonising Wait

31st December 2041

Jace's POV

It felt like eternity as I stand here and watch the scene before me. Aidan was off doing what he needed to do, Brax was now standing here beside me. Mostly trying to keep me from running into the building and finding Kenna. I just want her here with me, to know that she was alright. That my baby was alright.

The city carried on as planned, we could hear the music pumping and the fireworks that they have early for the kids. That just means it's only been half hour since I first arrived. What's taking them so long and why hasn't anyone told me anything? The wait is going to kill me.

"Hey Dad." Brax said as his arm pulled me in closer to him. He's called Dad's phone so he knows already that something is wrong. We've always been told that after dark to call Mum's phone if we just wanted to talk. Dad's if we needed help.

"Kenna's apartment is on fire and we haven't heard anything from her. Jace said that she was there with her parents and brother before he got here." Brax was calm but I knew he was keeping it together for my sake. I'm surprised I am still standing but I just can't sit.

"I don't know. It's bad Dad, Jace and I are across the street and we could feel the heat from here." he sighed and looked up at the building. The firies were doing all they can and it was working, not as much flame as there had been. The explosion shook the ground and there was glass flying everywhere. I looked around the area and saw most of the people that lived in the building talking. Mostly about hoping that their apartment was safe and worried about if there was anyone still in there.

"Let me know what time you're due to land, I'll pick you up." I heard Brax say as my eyes landed on a couple as they held each other tightly. The woman was crying as he comforted her.

"Mum and Dad are taking the first flight home, we're lucky that they're five minutes away from Coolangatta." he shoved his phone back into his pocket and then gave me a small smile. I nodded and kept my eyes darting around, for any sign of movement from the front entrance. My heart raced when I saw Aidan running towards us, his eyes looking directly into mine.

"They're bringing someone out." he rushed out and I was running closer, leaving my brothers behind. I stopped at the tape that was put up to prevent anyone getting closer. The paramedics were rushing into the building, the couple that I had been watching now anxiously standing by. When Aidan walked over they stopped him, the guy grabbing his arm.

"Do you know who it is? My kids are still up there." his voice full of panic but demanding. Aidan removed the guys hand from his arm and shook his head.

"I'm sorry sir, all I can tell you is that someone is on the way down. The never gave me details." Aidan explained and then tried to move on again but this guy grabbed him again. I can tell Aidan was starting to get pissed off with this guy.

"My son and daughter are still in there, it's burning and I want to fucking know if they're okay." he snapped and Aidan grabbed his hand this time and didn't let it go. I sighed and rubbed my hand over my face, he's not the only one that's waiting. My girlfriend and unborn child are up there somewhere.

"If you keep grabbing me like that, you're going to find yourself sitting in the back of my car. I can't tell you anymore. You're not the only one waiting for loved ones." Aidan snapped and then his eyes darted to mine before he walked away. The guy in his very expensive looking suit glanced my way and then let out a shaky breath.